After making it through his first spring as Nebraska's head coach, Frank Solich reflected upon the experience.

"I enjoyed it, and I felt comfortable," he said. "You learn as you go along. Sometimes I would get so involved in the play in front of me that I couldn't remember what happened the last play.

"I'd like to have another spring. So much of the job is off the field - dealing with the press and the boosters and things. I like that, but there is no question that I like being on the field with the players the best."

Nebraska set a new attendance record for a spring game with 60,498 fans.

"I think that's tremendous when you consider that this game was televised," Solich said.

"But that's the way the fans have always been here. They've always been supportive, and the players and coaches appreciate that.

Nebraska didn't escape Saturday's game without a few injuries. No. 1 left offensive tackle Adam Julch tore two major ligaments in his ankle and had surgery to repair them Sunday. No. 2 right offensive tackle Jeff Clausen broke a bone in his left hand at the end of the first half. Both are expected to be out for about two months.

Solich was concerned about the injuries, which deplete an already inexperienced offensive line.

"It's really a blow in terms of the offensive line," Solich said. "We're not deep or experienced in those positions and it's tough."

Other minor injuries included sophomore middle linebacker Carlos Polk and sophomore defensive tackle Luis Almanzar, who re-aggravated ankle sprains, and sophomore I-back DeAngelo Evans, who rolled his right ankle in the first half. Evans, who missed all of last season and winter conditioning with a pelvic injury, said he expected to be at full strength in two weeks.

Two kickers are vying to replace departed senior Jesse Kosch as NU's No. 1 punter.

Junior Dan Hadenfeldt averaged 46.7 yards on three punts and hit a 42-yard field goal Saturday. Bill Lafleur, the Huskers No. 1 punter going into spring practice, averaged 42.3 yards on six punts. He also had a punt blocked by sophomore free safety Clint Finley.

Former NU players Scott Frost, Grant Wistrom and Matt Hoskinson were honored in a pre-game ceremony.

Frost, an NFL third-round draft pick, won the Tom Novak Trophy, given annually to the senior who "exemplifies courage and determination."

Two-time All-American and first-round draft pick Wistrom received the Guy Chamberlain Trophy for his overall contribution to the football program. Hoskinson, the offensive line's sixth man last year, won the Native Son Award, given to a Nebraska native who shows leadership and a good work ethic.

Red-White Spring Game Notebook compiled by Senior Reporter Shannon Heffelfinger