Eric Edwinson appeared to be just another football fan needing tickets.

Before Saturday's Nebraska-Penn State football game, he asked numerous passers-by if they had any extra tickets to sell.

He paced around the corner of 16th and Vine streets apparently eager to find a way into the game. Two tickets and $100 later, Edwinson had his way in with more than an hour and half before kickoff.

But an hour later, Edwinson was still outside the stadium asking for tickets.

Edwinson was not just looking for an extra ticket for Saturday's Penn State game. He is a ticket broker; or as most sports fans would say, he's a scalper.

For Edwinson, the sports ticket trade is his business. He also sold tickets at the Iowa-Iowa State game and had plans to return to his home in Minnesota for Sunday's Vikings game.

"It's what I do on the weekends," Edwinson said.

Edwinson's business has made getting tickets difficult for some Husker fans, though, Frank Schneider of Lincoln said.

Schneider said the scalpers bought up the tickets from fans with extra tickets.

"They take them before we can get to them," he said.

Often, fans looking for tickets have to get them from brokers for double the face value or more.

There are few regulations preventing secondhand ticket distribution, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police Officer Tyson Poskochil said.

A Lincoln city ordinance requires brokers to have a permit if they sell tickets on city property. University property does not have any rules against the ticket sales, and there is no state law on the books, either.

"It's as legal as the day is long as long as I don't block traffic," Edwinson said.

The face value for Penn State tickets was $42, but they were going for $80 to $100, Edwinson said.

"It's a market and it goes by whatever the market bears," he said.

Schneider said he was looking for a ticket close to face value, but some brokers were asking nearly $150 per ticket. He said the university should do something to curtail the activity of the ticket brokers.

Athletic Director Steve Pederson declined comment until he could familiarize himself with the issues surrounding this ticket redistribution, he said.

Edwinson said the current laws were fine and any new laws would just be unfair to ticket holders.

"If they bought them, they should be able to sell them to me," he said.

It's not just experienced ticket brokers selling tickets, though. Students, alumni and other fans get rid of extra tickets before the game, too.

Sophomore business major Dan Patterson said he tried to sell his student ticket for $100 for some extra spending money.

The market for student tickets could be smaller because of the validation fee charged at the gate.

"Nobody wants them for the student section anyway," he said.

Students have had to deal with trying to get tickets, too.

Erin Schultz and Kelly Finnegan, both undeclared freshmen, had to buy tickets off the street an hour before the game. They got one student ticket for $50, but Schultz said she would pay up to $60 for a student ticket.

"I think it's a fair price," she said.

Edwinson said he had rules for conducting business, though. He doesn't sell tickets he believes to be stolen and he doesn't lie to people.

He said ticket buyers should check the tickets to make sure they have the correct date and make sure they correspond to a seat in the stadium.

"You should have a map of the stadium in your pocket and bring down plenty of cash because we don't take checks," he said.

He said Nebraska games were good to work. Most of the people needing tickets stand close to each other with their fingers in the air signifying how many tickets they want.

"It's like picking off gophers standing around a gopher hole with a rifle and a scope," Edwinson said.

He said when it came down to it, he got fans into the game even if his means were frowned upon.

Fans like Schneider learned to handle the scalpers conducting business before the game.

Because Schneider didn't want to pay the broker's price, he had to compete with the scalpers to get a ticket. Even though he wanted to save money, he said his ultimate goal was simple.

"We're just looking to get in," Schneider said.