If a camera was focused on Kansas Coach Terry Allen during the Kansas vs. Nebraska game on Saturday, it would have told the story.His body language on the sideline during the game and in the locker room afterward showed the roller coaster of emotions the KU football team went through in its 24-17 loss to the Cornhuskers. The team's spirit and ultimately its defeat were best reflected in the actions of Allen.After the game, a visibly disappointed Allen came out of the locker and barked "let's go" at players who took time speak with friends and family before going into the changing room.He also refused to laud his team's play in the near win against No. 8 Nebraska."You don't give congratulations," Allen said. "Sure, they gave a great effort. We came to play and came to win. It's frustrating, and it's disappointing you have to play all facets of the game. I'm pleased and proud of their effort, but you don't give congratulations when you get beat."That contrasted with a vibrant Allen, seen early on as he paced the sidelines with a spring in his step, cheering on his players. He could be seen celebrating after every first down or great defensive play as his team took a 9-0 lead.And unlike its first six games of the season where the Jayhawks, who fell to 3-6 overall and 1-4 in the Big 12 Conference, were outscored 144-96 in the first half and 60-26 in the first quarter, responded to Allen's exuberance in the first half against Nebraska (7-1, 4-1)."I thought our kids believed they could win," said Allen, who had 56-1 record when leading at halftime. "And that was demonstrated in the first half when we talked about trying to make things happen."Using an open offense, staunch defense and a blocked punt for a safety, Kansas, not Nebraska, was the better team in the first half.Allen's offense had him pumping his fists into the air after quarterback Dylan Smith hit David Hurst on a 22-yard touchdown pass to give the Jayhawks the nine-point margin.Using formations, which utilized several receivers to spread out a sluggish NU defense, Kansas picked at the Nebraska defense in the first half for 184 yards and 12 first downs.At the same time Allen had reason to applaud his defense. The same unit that had been scorched for 412.8 yards per game in 1999 had yielded only 69 yards and zero points to Nebraska in the first half.Free safety Carl Nesmith said the defensive effort was one KU's finest this season."The defense played great," said Nesmith, who led the team with 11 tackles. "Everybody did their job tonight. And the whole team played well. The defense has a lot of confidence now. We should have shut them down. We should have won the game."In the second half, at times, it looked as if Allen wanted to pull his hair out.The first instance came on an 86-yard punt return by Bobby Newcombe to put Nebraska in the lead and the second came when Kansas was forced to call a time-out after technical difficulty with the Nebraska coaching staff's headsets."The critical part of the game was the punt return and the ensuing touchdown where they went up 17-9. (That) was 'the time' in the game," Allen said.Another important decision, Smith said, was the coaching staff's decision to play more conservatively in an effort to not make mistakes in the second half."I'm not saying the coaches made bad decisions, but I felt we should have kept going after them like we did in the first half," Smith said. "I think everybody on the team, including the coaches, did a great job. Unfortunately, things didn't go our way in the second half."