DN 1960 Reunion

Daily Nebraskan alumni editors gathered at the 1960 reunion including the "Rag's" first editor, Sterling McCaw.

Register for the next Daily Nebraskan reunion, Aug. 30-Sept. 1, 2019 (Labor Day weekend) with the main banquet on Friday evening.

• Discover the direction the next general manager will take the DN.
  • Congratulate Dan Shattil on his 37 years there. Bounce basketballs in the newsroom in his honor
  • Participate in the DN alumni book fair and book signing (contact Dan Shattil to include your books)
  • Attend the first football game of the season (pending ticket availability)
  • Launch the DN Hall of Fame
  • View the endowment reporting projects created over the years that were partially funded by DN alumni

Tentative agenda

Friday

• 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Free Google training by Mike Reilley (1987-88 DN editor). Get hands-on training on these free programs offered by Google that are as essential for today's journalists as pencils, reporter notebooks, hot glue and Exacto knives were decades ago. Learn about
    • Google Scholar as a reporting tool,
    • Google Trends and verification tools.
    • Data scraping with Google Sheets.
    • Scraping .PDFs with Tabula
    • Google MyMaps and what makes a good interactive map
    • Google Flourish line chart and horserace chart
    • Carto.com and other mapping tools
    • Google Earth Pro, Earth Engine, Earth Studio (new) and Google Earth measure tool.
  • 3-6 p.m. Happy hour gathering at O'Rourke's, 1329 O St.
  • Afternoon: Campus tours
  • 5-7 p.m.: DN sports alumni analyze the upcoming Husker game and season at the Alumni Association’s Football Friday. Wick Alumni Center
  • Evening:   Banquet and book fair. Colonial Room, Nebraska Union

Saturday

• Tailgate party co-sponsored by the College of Journalism and Mass Communications
  • South Alabama Football game Members of the Nebraska Alumni Association may order tickets at www.huskeralum.org/fmo .The DN will have a limited number of tickets this summer.
  • After the game: Small get-togethers by years and sections. Consider being a “no host” host for your group. Contact Dan Shattil for details

Sunday

• 11 a.m. Open house, lunch and games at the Daily Nebraskan office. 20 Nebraska Union

Lodging is scarce on football weekends, so reserve yours early. We have a small block of hotel rooms on hold at the Courtyard Marriott in the Haymarket and The Graduate – Lincoln. 

Courtyard Marriott has a limited number of rooms at $279/night for Aug. 30 and 31. It's $117/night on other nights, before or after, if you contact Melanie.Maynard@marriott.com. Make reservations at 402-904-4800 and request the “Daily Nebraskan Reunion Group.” Reservations cancelled after July 31, 2019 will be charged the full length of stay. Friday & Saturday night stays are required.

The Graduate – Lincoln has a limited number of rooms at $149/night. Call the hotel at 402-475-4011 and request the “UNL Daily Nebraskan Reunion Group.” Reservations cancelled after August 15, 2019 will be charged the full length of stay. Friday & Saturday night stays are required.

More reunion details will be announced as they are finalized. Join Daily Nebraskan Alumni on Facebook for updates or check the Alumni Association's DN reunion site.  Contact dshattil@unl.edu , 402-472-1769 for additional information.