Register for the next Daily Nebraskan reunion, Aug. 30-Sept. 1, 2019 (Labor Day weekend) with the main banquet on Friday evening.
- Discover the direction the next general manager will take the DN.
- Congratulate Dan Shattil on his 37 years there. Bounce basketballs in the newsroom in his honor
- Participate in the DN alumni book fair and book signing
- Attend the first football game of the season (pending ticket availability)
- Launch the DN Hall of Fame
- 8 a.m.-3 p.m. FreeGoogle training by Mike Reilley (1987-88 DN editor). Get hands-on training on these free programs offered by Google that are as essential for today's journalists as pencils, reporter notebooks, hot glue and Exacto knives were decades ago. Learn about
- Google Scholar as a reporting tool,
- Google Trends and verification tools.
- Data scraping with Google Sheets.
- Scraping .PDFs with Tabula
- Google MyMaps and what makes a good interactive map
- Google Flourish line chart and horserace chart
- Carto.com and other mapping tools
- Google Earth Pro, Earth Engine, Earth Studio (new) and Google Earth measure tool.
- 2:30-4 p.m. Campus Tours (need to be pre-registered) Meet at Wick Alumni Center
- 3-5:30 p.m. Happy hour gathering at O'Rourke's, 1329 O St.
- 5-7 p.m.: Alumni Association’s Football Friday.Wick Alumni Center
- 5:45-6:15 p.m. DN sports alumni (Shelley Smith, Paula Lavigne, Mitch Sherman, along with Hall of Famer Jay Foreman) analyze the upcoming Husker game and season. Wick Alumni Center
- 6-7:30 p.m: Book Signing and cocktails. (Tim Anderson, Andy Boyle, Jon Daehnke, Kim Hachiya, Matthew Hansen, Sarah Baker Hansen, Paula Lavigne, Steve Smith, Todd von Kampen, Eileen Wirth) Regency Suite, Nebraska Union
- 7:30 p.m. Banquet, Regency Suite, Nebraska Union
- 8-11 a.m.: Tailgate party co-sponsored by the College of Journalism and Mass Communications Platte River (formerly Colonial) Room, Nebraska Union.
- 11 a.m.: South Alabama Football game Members of the Nebraska Alumni Association may order tickets at www.huskeralum.org/fmo .The DN will have a limited number of tickets this summer.
- After the game: Small get-togethers by years and sections. Consider being a “no host” host for your group.
- 11 a.m. Open house, lunch and games at the Daily Nebraskan office. Compete against current staff members and other DN alumni: AP Style Faceoff, funny headline contest, current events quiz, best photo captions for DN alumni staff photos, kickball and possibly recycling container obstacle course races 20 Nebraska Union
More reunion details will be announced as they are finalized. Join Daily Nebraskan Alumni on Facebook for updates or check the Alumni Association's DN reunion site. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org , 402-472-1769 for additional information.