In 1995, Nebraska gymnast Grant Clinton was dreaming of going to the world championships, the 1996 Olympics and, at the very least, getting a college scholarship.Clinton was at the peak of his career then, winning the Texas state title three times in the all-around with his club team, Cypress Academy of Gymnastics, as well as negotiating a scholarship with Michigan.Clinton was on top of the gymnastics world. But his stay didn't last long, and now as a senior at Nebraska, he's trying to make his way back to the top.On his way home from a competition his junior year of high school, Clinton's life as a gymnast changed.A car accident tore his left wrist and the rotator cuff in his right shoulder, injuries doctors said would end his gymnastics career."They told me there was a 100 percent chance that I would not compete at a competitive level again," Clinton said.Efforts to get back into gymnastics shape proved futile. Trying to forget about what could have been, Clinton enrolled at Texas Tech and coached at the Texas Elite Gymnastics Academy in Lubbock, Texas.After two years on the sideline, Clinton had trouble doing menial tasks like opening a car door, so he had a second surgery performed. It ended up being just what Clinton needed to get back into gymnastics."One night I was fooling around at the gym and was like, 'I can do this.' It hurt a little, but I could do it," he said. "I didn't want to give up on gymnastics, and the pain wasn't unbearable."So Clinton decided to fight through the pain, and, in 1998, moved back to Houston to train with his club team again."I didn't even know what I was planning on doing," he said. "I was cut off before, and I wanted to finish my career."Although out of shape after two years of inactivity, Clinton said his muscle memory recognized the sport and training was second nature.Despite Clinton's ambition, he still didn't have a focus."I was kind of training for the world championships or the Olympics in 2000. I didn't know how realistic that was," Clinton said."I really had no idea what I was doing."College gymnastics didn't even enter his head because Clinton said most colleges didn't want a guy with only two or three years of eligibility coupled with a list of injuries.So it was a surprise to Clinton when Francis Allen, the gymnastics coach at Nebraska, came to him with a scholarship in 1999.Five months after Clinton decided to get back in the gym, he found himself at Nebraska doing something he thought he would never do again."I thought I had lost my chance. I thought I had been cheated. And then I had this scholarship, and I was like, 'Hey, they'll pay for my school, and I can compete at the college level.'"Clinton started the season slowly after arriving just two weeks before the first competition. By the season's end Clinton posted his highest scores at nationals en route to helping Nebraska finish third.But Clinton wasn't out of the woods yet.In 2000, Clinton's action was limited because of muscle spasms in his back and shoulder soreness. And last year, Clinton sat out the first two months after undergoing shoulder and knee surgery."Grant's been through a lot," junior teammate Ryan Sneed said. "It's made him tough. He doesn't let the pain affect him or let it slow him down."Despite the plague of injuries, Clinton said he never considered quitting the sport."It's just pain. It's not something that's going to be crippling," he said. "That's been my career, and I've learned how to compete with it."Clinton was even given a chance to extend his career. The NCAA granted him a sixth year of eligibility this season.Having Clinton around an extra year gives a young and inexperienced NU team added leadership, Sneed said."He's a leader in every sense on the team - how he trains, competes and conducts himself," Sneed said.Clinton, who is fourth in the nation on still rings and vault and first in parallel bars, just wants to stay healthy enough to earn All-America honors at nationals."I got a second chance, and I'm very humble because of that," he said. "My goal right now is to make it through two months. I just need to make my body last for two more months."