Earthstock

Welcome back, readers.

For some of us, 2016 wasn’t the best year. Daily newspaper headlines made it seem as though everything that could go wrong, did. Between ongoing international conflict, celebrity deaths and, for some, damaging U.S. election results, this past year left us asking, “What’s next?” 

Although not everything we reported on here at The Daily Nebraskan was uplifting, there were certainly stories that served as reminders that 2016 wasn’t a waste. For those of us who felt like 2016 let us down, we can remember some of the great things that happened on campus:

A 72-year-old woman enrolled as a freshman English major at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

72-year-old woman starts freshman year at UNL

Dragging along her rolling briefcase, Caroline Okelberry walked to one of her first classes of the year at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. "They're all either in Burnett, Andrews and Oldfather, so it's nice that they're close together and I don't have to walk too far," she said.

Students without plans for Thanksgiving were invited to spend the holiday with their graduate teaching assistant.

UNL professor offers Thanksgiving to her students

Every year, University of Nebraska-Lincoln English graduate teaching assistant Courtney Lawton prepares Thanksgiving dinner for family and friends. But Lawton tries to make her Thanksgiving unique by inviting her students. Weeks before the actual holiday, she starts making lists of things she needs to get done in preparation for the dinner, including sending out emails and invitations to her English students.

A member of the Greek community began a project aimed at starting a conversation about why exercise is a good way to improve both physical and mental health. 

Student raises mental health awareness, hope

As University of Nebraska-Lincoln junior Alison Walla reaches for the barbell, she can feel her stress begin to melt away. Every lift, every push-up, every squat shoves her anxiety further into the depths of her mind. When she's running, she isn't thinking about her upcoming exams. When she's lifting weights, she isn't worried about graduating.

And let’s not forget the free donuts. University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds gave 600 students a much-needed study break in the Adele Hall Learning Commons when he provided free Dunkin Donuts.

Bounds offers University of Nebraska students free doughnuts

For many students, dead week can be a dreadful time, with hours of studying and fretting over upcoming exams. That's why University of Nebraska President Hank Bounds decided to take action. Bounds treated students at all four campuses in the state by purchasing 200 dozen doughnuts from Dunkin' Donuts and having them delivered to the libraries Thursday morning.

As for 2017, we can’t promise every Daily Nebraskan story will be happy. We’ll tell the stories our readers need to hear – whether they’re disappointing, scary or anger-inducing. We hope, though, that the stories you read here will be news worth sharing. 

Happy New Year,

The Daily Nebraskan Editorial Staff

Although not everything we reported on here at The Daily Nebraskan was uplifting, there were certainly stories that served as reminders that 2016 wasn’t a waste. For those of us who felt like 2016 let us down, we can remember some of the great things that happened on campus.

Tags