Popup

Good things come in small packages, and mini-sessions are no exception. These flexible courses are perfect for busy students who want to design schedules specific to their needs.

Mini-sessions, or pop-up classes, are courses that don’t last a full semester and teach students about a topic in a more condensed, intense setting. They are a great way to take part in specialty classes and other opportunities that can benefit one’s education without adding another semester-long commitment.

These short courses come in many forms, such as weekly one-credit courses or hyper-focused classes completed over the course of a single day or weekend. Others might be three-credit courses that teach the same amount of information as regular classes but last only part of the semester.

These classes allow students to learn in new ways, and all students should take mini-sessions in addition to regular classes.

At the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, mini-sessions can provide a few extra credits or help students gain knowledge in a more efficient manner. Many of these classes, like Media Sales and Account Management, only last a few days day so students can learn a wealth of information in a short amount of time.

It consists of two eight-hour meetings where advertising and public relations students learn about media sales and account management. This gives students a chance to gain more individualized, hands-on experience.

Another benefit of these nontraditional classes is that subjects are often taught through alternative methods.

For example, in Creative Problem Solving by Archrival, students work on real-world marketing projects before presenting them to a panel of judges. This style of project-based learning pushes students to explore topics through application, and this experience only makes sense in a short, intensive course.

Furthermore, the specialty topics provided in mini-sessions make memorable experiences for students looking to broaden their horizons. UNL provides learning experiences on subjects like scuba diving, bowling and the history of wine.

One example of a non-traditional course is the Platte River Crane Photo Experience, which involves a photography project centered on Sandhill cranes migrating near the Platte River. These mini-sessions can be unique additions to a regular course load and often go beyond what is normally taught in the classroom.

While there are many benefits to taking mini-sessions, they unfortunately rely on students having the extra time and energy.

Time is a rare commodity for those who fill their schedules with work and extracurricular activities. Many might opt to spend free time hanging out with friends or relaxing. Despite this, mini-sessions are a great use of time for those who can fit them into their schedules.

Courses presented in small packages are exactly what students need to pick up extra credits, gain new experiences and learn in fresh ways. Everyone should keep these small but useful courses in mind when enrolling in class next fall.

Graham Guenette is a sophomore English major. Reach him via opinion@dailynebraskan.com or via @DNopinion

This article was modified at 10:30 a.m. on Feb. 22 to correct the number of sessions in Media Sales and Account Management.