Elevate

*Editor's note: The following is a letter to the editor written by the Elevate Party. A runoff election between Elevate and Radiate will occur on Tuesday, March 15 on MyRed.unl.edu from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. 

As the runoff election approaches, it is important to be able to distinguish between the two remaining parties. We understand that campaign season can be overwhelming – annoying, even – but we urge you to take a few minutes to read up on the differences between Elevate and Radiate in order to make the best choice for our campus.

Platforms

Elevate has been completely transparent since the day we launched our campaign. We had our platforms explicitly published on our website, and were receptive to all questions and criticisms throughout the campaign process. We did not employ the standard three-platform system that parties have done in the past, but rather used student input and the interests of our senators to generate six primary platforms: mental health awareness, environmental sustainability, ASUN outreach, sexual assault prevention, academic excellence and diversity and inclusion. We have members of our slate who have already been elected who have worked intimately with each of these issues.

Radiate shied away from attaching any specific platforms to itself, and instead established its objectives by focusing on the passions of its senators. This seems like a strong strategy in theory, but in practice it carries many negative consequences. For one, it does not allow for executive candidates to be held accountable. Without any definitive platforms, to what standard are they to be held if elected? They may argue that they would continue to focus on the passions of their senators, but the truth is that not very many of them got elected. Just nine senators running with Radiate were elected last Wednesday, compared to Elevate’s 19. Our elected senators are passionate about the platforms that our party has endorsed from the beginning. We’ve been accessible and transparent since day one, and that is not going to change.

Our elected representatives are diverse

Thirty-four candidates running with Elevate were elected last Wednesday, more than the other two parties combined. Not only do we have strength in numbers, but in diversity as well. All eight multicultural students running with Elevate were elected. Fourteen of the 34 elected representatives are non-Greek. This diversity transcends demographics, too. Our representatives are leaders from all corners of campus, and form a perfect ratio of those who have ASUN involvement, and those who do not. Fourteen of the 34 are not currently in involved in ASUN, and will bring fresh and unique perspectives to student government.

Our executive slate is experienced and cohesive

The Elevate executive slate has a combined eighteen semesters of ASUN experience. They have served in a wide range of roles within student government, including Freshman Campus Leadership Associates, the Government Liaison Committee, Academic Committee, Committee for Diversity and Inclusion and even Chief of Staff. Additionally, Leemah, Stetson, and Spencer did not meet this year and decide to run for ASUN; they have known each other since the beginning of their college careers. They have been working with each other inside and outside of ASUN for three years. This allows them to work efficiently and effectively, bounce ideas off of each other, and be open and vulnerable. These are important qualities that are unique to the Elevate executive team.

Voting will take place on MyRED between 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on March 15. After reading about the differences between the remaining parties, we hope you see that if this campus is to be raised to new heights, Elevate is the only way to vote on Tuesday.

Regards,

The Elevate Team