letter to the editor sig

*Editors note: The following is a response to staff editorial titled "The issues we think ASUN parties should focus on."

In a request that each party lay out transparent, step-by-step strategies for how to accomplish their specific goals, we have put together the following document. Radiate believes the three categories the Daily Nebraskan identified are certainly issues that need to be addressed on campus. However, we also believe there are more than just those three, so we have included goals for each topic area that members of the Radiate party will focus on if elected. As the largest SEG, Radiate has candidates who are not only passionate about the following topics, but have experience working on the issues and studied the hurdles we face here at UNL in accomplishing the goals laid out below.

Sustainability

Radiate will continue current Environmental Sustainability Committee (ESC) projects such as Greeks Going Green, Foam Free UNL, and promoting the Green Fund, among others. We will also work to continue pursing other projects that are in the pipeline. One specific example is to implement composting in the dining halls. This entails communicating with UNL Facilities and private companies to create a plan that will benefit everyone and have far-reaching affects. It will show our community and other universities that UNL is invested in sustainability and can set an example for other schools around the country.

For this to occur, waste trucking and cost factors must be analyzed, compared, and discussed between the University Facilities and the companies that will be transporting and composting the organic waste. Continuing into next year, we will work towards complete implementation of composting in the dining halls and unions. Distinct signs and markings will be established in kitchens and truck loading docks. This will ensure employees correctly separate compostable from non-compostable items. The Unions will also have clear signs informing students, of which waste goes in which bins, making it simple for students to participate.

Representation

Addressing accurate representation on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s campus is like learning a different language - challenging, but not impossible. A leader’s first instinct is to make big plans, implement quick change, and expect immediate results. In this case, however, solving the problem of accurate student representation requires much more patience.

The first small step in unraveling this issue is directly reaching out to the students on this campus, specifically those whose voices are not heard within ASUN. After talking with the Executive Council of Multicultural Organizations, Radiate understands that helping these individuals find a place within ASUN is a large issue that must be addressed; however, we at Radiate do not believe in just announcing the issue, we believe in fixing it. To do this, Radiate, in correspondence with the Executive Council of Multicultural Organizations, has prepared several steps to remedy this issue.

First, Radiate wants to reach out to encourage Greek leaders to create lasting friendships with members of a variety of organizations on campus, such as the Executive Council of Multicultural Organizations. Second, we want to reach further than the Greek Community and make changes directly within ASUN. Through the use of the Diversity Committee, Radiate will co-host events, such as banquets, potlucks or movie nights, to increase integration of the UNL community in its entirety. Finally, once we have formed friendships and encouraged interaction on campus, Radiate will continue to build personal relationships between all members on UNL’s campus. Radiate members will do this through frequent visits to the Gaughan Center and continually sending ASUN representatives to all RSO’s on campus.

Radiate knows these are only small steps to fixing a large issue on campus and within ASUN, but through these steps we want to provide ASUN with accurate representation on campus and facilitate genuine friendships and connections between varied organizations.

Mental Health

It is our goal to change the discussion about mental health. Radiate members will work to encourage open, honest, and positive communication about mental health. There are a few changes that we believe would significantly benefit our campus in regards to mental health.

First, we need to increase the number of free visits a student can receive. Recent studies show that a minimum 7 free visits would be much more appropriate, giving the students the resources they need. We will also work to develop a peer-counseling program. It is our goal to establish a group of students who will meet one-on-one with fellow students through the UNL Health Center. Having a peer counseling group will help to continue our work to change the discussion about mental health while also giving students a place to have conversations about things they may be struggling with. Having these much less formal settings for students to come and talk with a trained peer will help encourage more students to address any issues in a timelier manner. We will also work with NSE and other already established organizations to educate students of the services provided on campus. Often times the problem is simply that students have no idea the resources provided for them. Ensuring that each and every student knows where CAPS is located, the services they offer, and how you can contact them from your first day on campus will allow students to be able to seek the help they need.

Women’s Issues

When it comes to women issues, the University has many phenomenal programs already. The women’s center offers free counseling, has a victims advocate, support groups, and many other services that a lot of our students are unaware of. Working with RSOs, NSE, UPC, the Women’s Center, PREVENT, and other organizations we can bring attention to many of the issues affecting our campus. By holding campus events such as self-defense training, or speakers to empower women, partnering with the women’s center we can continue the conversation and educate all women on our campus on what resources the University offers.

Radiate will also continue the work that has already begun in ensuring that Title IX information is available and can be found on each class syllabi. As well as furthering the work of the current Campus Life and Safety committee to run awareness campaigns, support “It’s on US”, and be diligent in searching out ways to bring an end to sexual assault on campus.

Academics

In order to achieve our objective, we hope to refocus ASUN’s interest in academic affairs by better utilizing the Academic Committee. The Academic Committee is responsible for fostering a positive academic environment by addressing student complaints regarding Dead Week, attending Academic Senate meetings, and collaborating with related ASUN committees and faculty to improve UNL academics in general. We see untapped potential in ASUN that could be used to enhance what should be one of student government’s focus areas--our academics.

Each senator will “[Meet] with the senator’s Student Advisory Board (SAB) at least once per month during the regular school year,” as is stated in the ASUN Bylaws (IV-D). We hope these meetings will bring forward much needed collaboration between the Senate body and the colleges it represents. In addition, these meetings will help senators have a clearer perspective of the desires of the students and allow student advisory board members to communicate to the students of their college what ASUN’s goals and plans are throughout the year. Furthermore, ASUN can be an avenue in which students can bring forward their concerns regarding their academics. In collaboration the with the ASUN Communication’s Committee, we hope to make students aware of the many academic programs on campus as well as other ways in which students can be engaged in their learning.

Radiate will also utilize the Academic Committee to pursue ways to make textbooks and online publications more affordable for students, including the possibility of tax-free textbooks. We will work to develop a more effective means of course evaluations and ensure that professors are actually taking into account the feedback from students they are being provided, after all it is students who are paying for the course. As well as playing an active role in the conversation around ACE requirements and need for more diversity and sexual assault prevention education and training for all students.

Agriculture and East Campus

Radiate has outlined the following goals related to agriculture education and the East Campus sub-community as it relates to the larger UNL community, along with the steps needed to accomplish them:

1. Increased agricultural literacy campus wide.

Integrate informational items not only throughout City Campus, but also on East Campus that gives facts about agriculture that get students thinking about how important agriculture is to this state and even country. Using informational materials in dining halls, the unions, and the libraries to accomplish this.

2. Continue updating agricultural facilities on campus.

Better informing the administration on what we, as students believe needs to be updated when it comes to agricultural facilities. Taking into consideration that we are a Land Grand University, and that East Campus is a huge part of our University we will always need sufficient facilities to continue development of the next generation of agriculturalists.

3. Improved collaboration and communication within CASNR.

Have representatives from each CASNR organization, CASNR Advisory board, and CASNR Senators meet periodically to:

• Develop Ag Literacy plan

• Communicate their thoughts and opinions on what is happening in ASUN

• Improve communication within CASNR

Student Fees

Radiate candidates for the Committee for Fee Allocation and for the Technology Fee Committee will work to improve student participation in the process of allocating student fees. They will also work diligently to eliminate the instances of the misuse of student fees, and ensure that increases in fees are minimized as best as possible, understanding that there are certain inflationary costs that we as a student body do not have control over. A specific way to improve transparency is by sending out monthly reports for each fund user (Daily Nebraskan, Unions, Libraries, etc.) and publishing them on a website created specifically for CFA.

In a request that each party lay out transparent, step-by-step strategies for how to 

accomplish their specific goals, we have put together the following document. Radiate 

believes the three categories the Daily Nebraskan identified are certainly issues that need 

to be addressed on campus. However, we also believe there are more than just those 

three, so we have included goals for each topic area that members of the Radiate party 

will focus on if elected. As the largest SEG, Radiate has candidates who are not only 

passionate about the following topics, but have experience working on the issues and 

studied the hurdles we face here at UNL in accomplishing the goals laid out below. 

Sustainability

Radiate will continue current Environmental Sustainability Committee (ESC) projects 

such as Greeks Going Green, Foam Free UNL, and promoting the Green Fund, among 

others. We will also work to continue pursing other projects that are in the pipeline. One 

specific example is to implement composting in the dining halls. This entails 

communicating with UNL Facilities and private companies to create a plan that will 

benefit everyone and have far-reaching affects. It will show our community and other 

universities that UNL is invested in sustainability and can set an example for other 

schools around the country. 

For this to occur, waste trucking and cost factors must be analyzed, compared, and 

discussed between the University Facilities and the companies that will be transporting 

and composting the organic waste. Continuing into next year, we will work towards 

complete implementation of composting in the dining halls and unions. Distinct signs and 

markings will be established in kitchens and truck loading docks. This will ensure 

employees correctly separate compostable from non-compostable items. The Unions will 

also have clear signs informing students, of which waste goes in which bins, making it 

simple for students to participate. 

Representation

Addressing accurate representation on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s campus is 

like learning a different language - challenging, but not impossible. A leader’s first 

instinct is to make big plans, implement quick change, and expect immediate results. In 

this case, however, solving the problem of accurate student representation requires much 

more patience.

The first small step in unraveling this issue is directly reaching out to the students on this 

campus, specifically those whose voices are not heard within ASUN. After talking with 

the Executive Council of Multicultural Organizations, Radiate understands that helping 

these individuals find a place within ASUN is a large issue that must be addressed; 

however, we at Radiate do not believe in just announcing the issue, we believe in fixing 

it. To do this, Radiate, in correspondence with the Executive Council of Multicultural 

Organizations, has prepared several steps to remedy this issue.

First, Radiate wants to reach out to encourage Greek leaders to create lasting friendships 

with members of a variety of organizations on campus, such as the Executive Council of 

Multicultural Organizations. Second, we want to reach further than the Greek 

Community and make changes directly within ASUN. Through the use of the Diversity 

Committee, Radiate will co-host events, such as banquets, potlucks or movie nights, to 

increase integration of the UNL community in its entirety. Finally, once we have formed 

friendships and encouraged interaction on campus, Radiate will continue to build 

personal relationships between all members on UNL’s campus. Radiate members will do 

this through frequent visits to the Guan Center and continually sending ASUN 

representatives to all RSO’s on campus.

Radiate knows these are only small steps to fixing a large issue on campus and within 

ASUN, but through these steps we want to provide ASUN with accurate representation 

on campus and facilitate genuine friendships and connections between varied 

organizations.

Mental Health

It is our goal to change the discussion about mental health. Radiate members will work to 

encourage open, honest, and positive communication about mental health. There are a 

few changes that we believe would significantly benefit our campus in regards to mental 

health.

First, we need to increase the number of free visits a student can receive. Recent studies 

show that a minimum 7 free visits would be much more appropriate, giving the students 

the resources they need. We will also work to develop a peer-counseling program. It is 

our goal to establish a group of students who will meet one-on-one with fellow students 

through the UNL Health Center. Having a peer counseling group will help to continue 

our work to change the discussion about mental health while also giving students a place 

to have conversations about things they may be struggling with. Having these much less 

formal settings for students to come and talk with a trained peer will help encourage more 

students to address any issues in a timelier manner. We will also work with NSE and 

other already established organizations to educate students of the services provided on 

campus. Often times the problem is simply that students have no idea the resources 

provided for them. Ensuring that each and every student knows where CAPS is located, 

the services they offer, and how you can contact them from your first day on campus will 

allow students to be able to seek the help they need.

Women’s Issues

When it comes to women issues, the University has many phenomenal programs already. 

The women’s center offers free counseling, has a victims advocate, support groups, and 

many other services that a lot of our students are unaware of.  Working with RSOs, NSE, 

UPC, the Women’s Center, PREVENT, and other organizations we can bring attention to 

many of the issues affecting our campus. By holding campus events such as self-defense 

training, or speakers to empower women, partnering with the women’s center we can 

continue the conversation and educate all women on our campus on what resources the 

University offers. 

Radiate will also continue the work that has already begun in ensuring that Title IX 

information is available and can be found on each class syllabi. As well as furthering the 

work of the current Campus Life and Safety committee to run awareness campaigns, 

support “It’s on US”, and be diligent in searching out ways to bring an end to sexual 

assault on campus. 

Academics

In order to achieve our objective, we hope to refocus ASUN’s interest in academic affairs 

by better utilizing the Academic Committee. The Academic Committee is responsible for 

fostering a positive academic environment by addressing student complaints regarding 

Dead Week, attending Academic Senate meetings, and collaborating with related ASUN 

committees and faculty to improve UNL academics in general. We see untapped potential 

in ASUN that could be used to enhance what should be one of student government’s 

focus areas--our academics. 

Each senator will “[Meet] with the senator’s Student Advisory Board (SAB) at least once 

per month during the regular school year,” as is stated in the ASUN Bylaws (IV-D). We 

hope these meetings will bring forward much needed collaboration between the Senate 

body and the colleges it represents. In addition, these meetings will help senators have a 

clearer perspective of the desires of the students and allow student advisory board 

members to communicate to the students of their college what ASUN’s goals and plans 

are throughout the year. Furthermore, ASUN can be an avenue in which students can 

bring forward their concerns regarding their academics. In collaboration the with the 

ASUN Communication’s Committee, we hope to make students aware of the many 

academic programs on campus as well as other ways in which students can be engaged in 

their learning. 

Radiate will also utilize the Academic Committee to pursue ways to make textbooks and 

online publications more affordable for students, including the possibility of tax-free 

textbooks. We will work to develop a more effective means of course evaluations and 

ensure that professors are actually taking into account the feedback from students they 

are being provided, after all it is students who are paying for the course. As well as 

playing an active role in the conversation around ACE requirements and need for more 

diversity and sexual assault prevention education and training for all students. 

Agriculture and East Campus

Radiate has outlined the following goals related to agriculture education and the East 

Campus sub-community as it relates to the larger UNL community, along with the steps 

needed to accomplish them: 

Integrate informational items not only throughout City Campus, but also on East 

Campus that gives facts about agriculture that get students thinking about how important 

agriculture is to this state and even country. Using informational materials in dining halls, 

the unions, and the libraries to accomplish this. 

Better informing the administration on what we, as students believe needs to be 

updated when it comes to agricultural facilities. Taking into consideration that we are a 

Land Grand University, and that East Campus is a huge part of our University we will 

always need sufficient facilities to continue development of the next generation of 

agriculturalists. 

Have representatives from each CASNR organization, CASNR Advisory board, 

and CASNR Senators meet periodically to:

 Develop Ag Literacy plan

 Communicate their thoughts and opinions on what is happening in ASUN

 Improve communication within CASNR

Student Fees

Radiate candidates for the Committee for Fee Allocation and for the Technology Fee 

Committee will work to improve student participation in the process of allocating student 

fees. They will also work diligently to eliminate the instances of the misuse of student 

fees, and ensure that increases in fees are minimized as best as possible, understanding 

that there are certain inflationary costs that we as a student body do not have control over. 

A specific way to improve transparency is by sending out monthly reports for each fund 

user (Daily Nebraskan, Unions, Libraries, etc.) and publishing them on a website created 

specifically for CFA.