NOLD: Christian persecution is a problem in the U.S.

By Zach Nold on November 1st, 2013

Our founding fathers wrote a constitution, which is supposed to guide our country. It was fair, well founded and is still considered the best-written legal document in history. Unfortunately, a legally binding document is only as good as those who follow it. The constitution is supposed to be enforced by the people. After all, the United States is a republic first and a democracy second.

However, somewhere along the way, we’ve lost the ability to require those we vote for to do the right thing. Our constitution is being trampled upon, and the religion a majority of our country’s principles were founded on is being persecuted.

The Pew Research Center said that Christianity is persecuted in more countries than any other faith or religion, and this includes the United States.

Expanding freedoms of the LGBT community and slow strides toward greater tolerance of other religions are positive movements in our country. However, they’ve gone so far that the persecution of Christianity is on the rise.

Some people’s religions teach widespread acceptance, and this has allowed those outside the majority to have great freedom. But religious groups are beginning to pay for their kindness.

Christians should tolerate others, and those who don’t are a disgrace to Christianity. However, there is a point at which this tolerance goes too far, and that point comes when the majority begins to lose their own freedoms.

Recently, there have been multiple accounts of Christians being put down by others. A report by Texas-based Liberty Institute and the Washington-based Family Research Council said that Christian persecution is on the rise. It has never been worse than under the current administration. This report details a valedictorian not being allowed to reference Jesus and pastors not being allowed to pray to God at memorial services. Mainstream media ignores these incidences for the most part, except for the occasional report one will see on Fox News and some third-party sources.

It’s appalling that the news won’t report these occurrences. What’s even more appalling is that people don’t see what they’re doing to each other or how their mad desire to enforce their will is hurting others. If you are an atheist or part of the LGBT community, you demand acceptance and understanding, which is fair. Everyone should be treated fairly.

But many times, people in those communities take it too far. When one starts butting into the lives of others and demanding they change their private lives, their private businesses and their own beliefs, one goes beyond demanding equality and into a power slide.

Where do you think this ends up? It ends with certain leftist radicals stomping on the beliefs of the majority, and all because they can’t understand the concept of staying out of someone else’s business.

Most of us have our beliefs and keep our business to ourselves. But when people force their opinions and beliefs onto others, instead of simply sharing them, they’ve gone too far.

Who has gone too far? How about members of the LGBT community in Oregon who forced a wedding cake bakery to close because it refused to make a cake for a gay couple? The business was privately owned and had the right to refuse service to anyone. The couple filed a complaint stating that the Oregon Equality Act of 2007 protected their rights to buy a wedding cake where they pleased. Unfortunately, this is a broad interpretation of the law.

The store owners happened to refuse service because their beliefs didn’t condone gay marriage, and this decision should be respected.

But because they happened to have their own, justified opinion, they were forced to shut down and are now under investigation for discrimination. Frankly, this should piss everyone off. Even though this group is a minority of the LGBT community, this is an example of how Christians are having their beliefs persecuted.

The gay couple wasn’t denied service because they were of a different race or of a different religion, but because their lifestyle didn’t line up with the owners’ religious practices. There are other wedding cake stores, other places they could’ve gone to get a cake. Yet this LGBT community chose to put its nose in someone else’s business and ruined the lives of honest, hard-working Americans.

Where else has this occurred?

Recently, evangelical Christians and the American Family Association were labeled as domestic hate groups because they supported traditional marriage. They were investigated, though thankfully the investigation has now been halted thanks to some very mindful congressmen. However, this is still outrageous. Where does this administration find the gall to make such accusations?

So where does this put our country? Where does this put Christianity? It puts us on the brink, a place between equality and persecution. The idea that we are the “Land of the Free” is diminishing. Soon the minority will be the majority, and the shoe will be on the other foot.

Eventually, this circle of persecution has to be stopped. The easiest way to do that is to keep one’s nose out of another’s business. This country was founded and driven by Christian principles and Christians have shown that they tolerate and respect other beliefs. And they deserve the same treatment in return.

Zach Nold is a senior English major. Reach him at opinion@

dailynebraskan.com