Outside of their classes, University of Nebraska-Lincoln sophomores Ross Grieb and Kevin Krzyzanowski spend countless hours in the recording studio pursuing big aspirations for their music careers.

After working together in a high school indie/pop band called the The Whale Factory, the two Omaha natives reunited to form The Young Ones.

“Last February we randomly reached out to each other around the same time and said, ‘Hey I miss music we should work together this summer,’” Grieb said. “We would get together for four to five hours a day, then I would go home and study producing stuff for another four or five hours, and that was literally all we did the whole summer.”

Once school started again in the fall, the two decided to pick a name for their band and stuck to a strict schedule of releasing one song every Sunday night.

While they don’t follow the schedule as strictly, The Young Ones still drop a song every week or so.

“We drop everything on soundcloud first, then when we have enough for a full length project, we push it to Spotify, Apple music… Our third project is dropping in about three weeks and we’re trying to get a fourth one out in about five,” said Grieb.

While genres are arbitrary these days, the duo describes their sound as pop/R&B—think artists like Blackbear and Lauv. Their lyrics differ, with Grieb pulling inspiration from his Christian faith and Krzyzanowski pulling from his experiences with questioning higher powers.

Russ, Gucci Mane and Cardi B grace the list of artists they look up to.

“[We look up to] not even people just in our genre, but artists who get in the game of working their asses off. Literally people who just know how to attract attention and who know how to capitalize on the attention they’re getting, and who literally just spew content out,” said Krzyzanowski.

The fact that they look up to hard-working artists makes sense, considering they spend over 60 hours a week in the studio and said they hope to increase that number to 90 come summer.

In addition to the 60 hours a week they spend in the studio, they run their own brand, produce music for other artists, stay on top of school work and produce a daily vlog. All of their content can be found on their Facebook page and website.   

“We fully intend to win a Grammy by 2027—it’s an arbitrary number. It kind of indicates that we don’t expect anything big to happen in the next six months or two years. This is a lifetime grind,” said Grieb.