Food Delivery Service

This story is part of a Daily Nebraskan New Student Enrollment special edition. 

The comfort of a home-cooked meal can be hard to come by in college.

After getting out of night class at 8:20 p.m. with only ten minutes left before Selleck closes, rushing to the dining hall to grab a bite of the day’s leftovers doesn’t always seem worth it. Digging into a bowl of instant ramen or microwave macaroni and cheese sometimes won’t cut it either.

Whether it’s because of a night class or study session, the work of making food or going to a dining hall can seem unappealing compared to a bed or practice test.

The Daily Nebraskan compiled a list of food delivery services for stay-at-home needs.

The Picnicker bicycle delivery service will pick up any food ordered from its downtown associates for $3. Those associates include The Coffee House, Yia Yia’s Pizza, Buffalo Wild Wings and many more listed on picknicker.com.

Picnicker will deliver from unlisted clients for a $6 fee.

You can order on the website, sign up for text ordering or leave a voicemail order. Deliveries are made from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.

Metro Dining Delivery Service will deliver food from a variety of restaurants in Lincoln from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. There’s a fee of $2.99 for orders of $40 or more. Orders worth $25-40 have a fee of $4.50, and the fee for orders less than $25 is $6.50.

Now, onto some establishments that deliver their own food.

Jimmy John’s will deliver 11 a.m. - 3 a.m. for fees ranging from $3.99 to $5.99.

Toppers Pizza specializes in late-night specialty pizza, delivering right to residence halls or apartment complexes from 10:30 a.m. to 3 a.m. The menu includes crazy pizzas such as the Loaded Tot-zza - topped with ranch sauce, mozzarella cheese and tater-tots - and the Jamaican Jerk Chicken - with ranch, jerk chicken, pineapples and tomatoes. There are more tame pizzas, such as classic cheese and pepperoni, available too.

Billy’s Restaurant offers American fare food such as pasta, salads and subs. But it requires a minimum purchase of $35 on delivery orders and tacks on a delivery fee of $5 for all orders.

Boss’ Pizza and Chicken also serves specialty pizza and chicken, including 25-piece baskets. Boss’ requires a minimum purchase of $12 on delivery orders and charges a minimum delivery fee of $2. The fee increases depending on the order size.

Big Daddy’s Pizza serves up specialty pizzas such as the double-decker of Italian sausage, ham, beef and bacon between two crusts. If pizza doesn’t sound good, Big Daddy’s has wings as well. Delivery requires a minimum purchase of $10 and a $3.50 fee.

After every good, greasy meal, there must be desserts. Ice Cream Bro - which will be returning in fall semester - is an ice cream delivery service provided by two University of Nebraska-Lincoln freshmen, Reid Gahan and Jacob Shiohira. All ice cream has been bought up for the semester, but Ice Cream Bro will deliver a pint of Blue Bunny ice cream for a flat rate of $4 when it returns in the fall.

LaMar’s Donuts, new to the delivery game, doesn’t require any minimum purchase but does charge a delivery fee of $10 for all orders. But these donuts won’t be for dinner, as the shop closes at 2 p.m.

Le Cupcake serves cupcakes and macaroons. It requires a minimum purchase of $25 and charges a delivery fee of $10. Le Cupcake is open at 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday and 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday.

College schedules can be tight, and the dining halls aren’t always the most accommodating. Downtown Lincoln offers flexible food options for the busy student, whether it be lunch on-the-go or a late midnight snack.