Female athletes

This story is part of a Daily Nebraskan New Student Enrollment special edition. 

Women’s Basketball

Jessica Shepard, Sophomore Forward

After being one of Nebraska’s highest-rated recruits in school history, forward Jessica Shepard burst onto the scene as a freshman.

She led NU with 19 points and nine rebounds per game. Shepard won Big Ten Freshman of the Year and was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team.

She also won Big Ten Freshman of the Week 10 times, which is a conference record. The Fremont native also recorded the most points and double-doubles as a freshman in school history with 574 and 10, respectively.

Volleyball

Briana Holman, Junior Outside Hitter

After having to sit out a year due to NCAA transfer rules, Briana Holman comes into her first season of eligibility with the Huskers as a highly touted talent.

Holman played two seasons at LSU before transferring, and in that time, she was named to the All-Freshman team and was All-SEC twice. Holman was also AVCA South Region Freshman of the Year and a first-team AVCA All-America in 2014.

Kadie Rolfzen, Senior Outside Hitter

Kadie Rolfzen was named a first-team AVCA All-America in 2015, her third career All-America honor.

Rolfzen was a unanimous All-Big Ten selection for the third time; She led the Huskers with 3.30 kills and also chipped in 2.82 digs per set. She also had 16 double-doubles in her junior season, giving her 41 in her career.

Rolfzen was the catalyst of NU’s 2015 national championship team.

In this season’s NCAA Regional Final, Rolfzen tallied 20 kills and 15 digs against No. 1 Washington. The performance helped her win MVP honors in the Lexington Regional.

Soccer

Caroline Flynn, Senior Midfielder

Caroline Flynn was the Huskers’ leading scorer in 2015, with five goals, and ended her 2016 spring season with four goals over a five-game stretch.

Flynn was one of nine midfielders invited to the United States Under-23 Women’s National Team Camp in the spring.

Aside from her stellar play, she has been an Academic All-Big Ten three straight years with a 4.0 GPA and has been a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar twice.

Gymnastics

Jennie Laeng, Junior

Jennie Laeng finished her 2015-2016 season with some momentum, as she became an all-around participant on Nebraska’s roster.

Laeng was named to the Second-Team All-Big Ten and the 2016 Big Ten All-Championship team.

She was also named Big Ten Co-Gymnast of the Week once and Big Ten Event Specialist of the Week once. Laeng is known for her uneven bars performance, and she shared the Big Ten title in the event in 2015.