Schoeneck

Greetings, Freshies! Wait, I’m not supposed to say that. Greetings, New Readers! No, that’s not right, either. You know what? We’re just gonna drop the formalities, this being my last ever opinion article for the Daily Nebraskan and all.

I know that not many of you are going to read this article. Why would you? You have it all figured out, I’m sure. What could this senior opinion writer possibly have to offer? This isn’t addressed to those of you who think you know what you’re doing. This is addressed to you. Yes, I’m talking to you, my dear new reader. You, who’s uncertain of your place in the world and frightened of screwing up this opportunity to make something of yourself here at University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I’m not going to tell you it will be easy because I don’t like lying to people. What I’m here to tell you is that there are many resources available to make your time in college that much easier.

“But Jaz, I don’t need any help. Isn’t that what college is all about? Shouldn’t I be self-sufficient?”

No. You shouldn’t be. In fact, the idea of self-sufficiency is a sham in college. I know, because I spent the first two years at UNL pushing everyone out of my way because I thought I was supposed to be able to accomplish everything on my own. Yet here I am, about to graduate, and I’d have never made it close without the effort of so many amazing people. So yeah, don’t be afraid to ask for help, but make sure you know who you’re asking. Your classmate might sound convincing when they tell you that taking care of your own scheduling is easy, but you aren’t paying them to get the best advice. You want good advice? Talk to an adviser. (Duh.) I neglected to go to my adviser because a friend of mine told me that they rarely know what they are talking about and are unhelpful. That was her experience. In reality, advisers exist solely to help keep you on track to graduate. Which, in case you thought otherwise, is the reason you’re paying all this money in the first place. So, become good friends with that adviser, ask them about opportunities to better your own experience and please, oh please, use them. Abuse the crap out of them (in the resource sense, don’t be a jerk). You’ll never have to worry if you’re taking the right course.

Another brilliant resource for you, young scholar, is the library. Before you say it: Yes, you will have to use the library at some point in your college career. There is no avoiding that. Take a bit to familiarize yourself with the facility, talk to the resource workers there, and take one of those single credit classes that teach you how to use the systems there. Again, you already paid for this resource, so use it. There’s no reason to not understand how it works. If I hear you complain about how you hate the library because it’s so complicated, then I will throw eggs at you. From the actual, physical books to the vast online resource center for articles, movies, journals and any other media format thinkable, the university library kicks much ass. Gosh, that sounded lame. I must be getting old.

I could list out any number of other resources that UNL provides for students, but most of them are specific to certain situations and your adviser can point you in their direction. I want to take a final moment, before I step away from the computer and run outside to celebrate the end of my final semester of being an undergraduate to clear something up. Earlier in this article, I may have made it seem like your friends and classmates are not a valuable resource. That is far from the truth. Your friends and classmates are some of the most important resources available to you. They are going through the same journey and are acquiring experiences and skills that you may not have yet. More often than not, my classmates could answer my questions just as effectively as an administrator. Get to know people in your class. You want them on your side if a professor is being unfair. (Yes, it happens. Keep them in check.) Or if you need help with an assignment. Or if you want someone to talk to quietly in your terrible Shakespeare class. Remember, classes make you crazy and friends keep you sane.

Finally, I’d like to plug the opinion section. Aw, don’t leave now, I’ll make it quick. Work for the opinion section of the DN. Do you have opinions? Do you like money? If you answered yes to either, then you are a pretty perfect fit. This section gave me the opportunity to have a professional writing experience and allowed me to become friends with some of the smartest people on campus. I’m going to miss it, and I know that if you join - yes I’m still talking to YOU - then you’ll love it too.

So, there you have it. Use the people and facilities around you, and opinion is awesome.

Alright, I’m done. I wish you the best of luck.