waffle fries

A burger and fries has often been referred to as one of the greatest food combinations of all time.

However, in the search for the greatest burger, fries can often be overlooked. Aside from all the glitz and glamour of an amazing burger, there are some pretty spectacular French fries out there as well. In what I’ve nicknamed a fry-try, I set out to find some of Lincoln’s best and tastiest French fries.

Honest Abe’s Burgers and Freedom, 854 N. 70th St.

Located in the Meadowlane shopping center, Honest Abe’s has been famous for its unique and delicious hamburgers. For an additional $2 or $3, customers can also purchase freedom fries or truffle-Parmesan fries with their order. The freedom fries were definitely the prettiest of the bunch,with fresh parsley adding a pop of color to an otherwise traditional French fry. The fries tasted good as well and had just the right amount of saltiness and crunch.

As I’ve usually only ordered the freedom fries with my burger of choice, I figured it was about time for me to try the Parmesan truffle fries as well. These fries were topped with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese. They were also tossed in truffle oil, which is infused with a mushroom-like flavor. While I enjoyed these fries too, they weren’t much different from the freedom fries, which cost a dollar less. So, in terms of more value for your money,the freedom fries are a safe bet.

Dempsey’s Burger Pub, 228 N. 12th St.

In terms of variety, Dempsey’s was the clear winner. Customers can choose from spicy, truffle, regular, duck fat and sweet potato fries. I sampled the spicy fries first, appropriately named fire fries. I used to believe that I had a high heat tolerance, but all of that was put into question when I took my first bite of a fire fry. Tossed with chili-garlic oil, my mouth was instantly on “fire,” no pun intended. These fries are certainly for the daredevil, as one bite will immediately make you desperate for a cold glass of milk.

Next in the wide assortment were the truffle fries, topped with a light amount of parsley and shredded Parmesan cheese. I liked these better than Honest Abe’s and found that they had a stronger truffle flavor. The only downside was that they were noticeably soggier in comparison.

Dempsey’s also offers sweet potato fries, a refreshing change with all of the traditional French fries I was eating. I found these fries to be the crispiest out four flavors I tried, with each fry having that classic sweet potato taste. The fries had no toppings and tasted great dipped in ketchup.

The final flavor I tested was the regular French fry, which tasted bland in comparison to all of the other flavors. While they were warm, fresh and salty, the fries lacked crispiness and seemed limp in comparison with the sweet potato fries. A taste of the standard fry brings more attention to Dempsey’s other flavors, all of which stand apart from the rest.

McKinney’s Irish Pub 151 N. Eighth St.

My final round of fries came from McKinney’s, an Irish pub located in the Haymarket, directly across from Lazlo’s Brewery and Grill. This pub takes on “spiral fries.” I had assumed that I would be receiving curly fries similar to those found at Arby’s, but was instead given fries shaped more like a swoop than anything else. The fries had nice flavor with no seasoning aside from a bit of salt. The golden brown edges were a step up in terms of crispiness, but the fry itself seemed slightly undercooked in correlation with the other fries I had tasted.

As I realize a great French fry all comes down to preference, I found that my favorite fries were Honest Abe’s freedom fries.

These fries had flavor and crispiness, both of which are my favorite part of a French fry. A quick look at Lincoln’s other French fries prove that there is a different French fry for every taste bud; it just depends on what you prefer.