Cheap Food

This story is part of a Daily Nebraskan New Student Enrollment special edition. 

Being tight on cash doesn’t mean you should have to tighten your belt. There are plenty of places downtown where you can get a decent meal for cheap. New students may not have the downtown map, but The Daily Nebraskan has comprised a list of places to get a good meal for $5 or less for students on a budget.

In order to get on the list, the food item in question must be composed of a meal item and drink. Appetizers don’t count. Also, the meal in question must be $5 or less before tax.

Wahoo’s Fish Tacos

Thinking of eating healthy but on a budget? Wahoo’s Fish Tacos offers a soft shelled taco with a side order of beans and rice for $4.65 before tax. If you show your student ID, you can also get a free drink for both to-stay and to-go meals.

Arby’s

While most of the prices are average, Arby’s has a special deal for current students. Show them your student ID and you’ll get about $3 taken off your meal. Using this for the Classic Arby’s meal, which is made up of a small drink, an order of curly fries and an Arby’s classic roast beef sandwich, you’ll be paying a full $3.60 for a satisfying meal.

Wendy’s

Wendy’s 4 for $4 is a deal you can’t really ignore. A drink, burger, fries and chicken nuggets are just what the doctor ordered. Well, maybe not the doctor, but it’s definitely what the undergrad ordered.

Amigos/King’s Classic

Before 10 a.m., Amigos is one of the cheapest places you can go to grab a bite for breakfast. Its breakfast menu is huge, with a choice among breakfast burritos, biscuits and gravy and more. Any breakfast meal comes with a junior mexi-fry and a 12-ounce cup of coffee.

If you aren’t in time for breakfast, don’t worry. Amigos also has a 4 for $4 meal; the King’s value meal comes with two boneless wings, a two-piece cheese frenchee and a junior french fry with a small drink. The Amigos value meal comes with a taco, crispy pinto, junior mexi-fry and a small drink.

Yia Yia’s

If you’re hungry for a good piece of pizza, head on down to Yia Yia’s and grab a slice. The equator, a simple cheese pizza with marinara sauce, is $2.99 and comes with a free piece of bread. Throw in $1.75 for a drink, and you have yourself a good, cheap meal.