NSE2018 Jessica Larkins

Dear reader,

I’ve honestly never been so jealous of someone I haven’t met before.

Yes, I’m talking about you, going through New Student Enrollment.

This is really the first time it’s hit me, but I’m going to be a senior next year.

I’m sure you’re tired of hearing this, but time really does fly by. It feels like I just went through NSE yesterday, and suddenly I’ll be graduating this time next year.

I’m jealous because you have such great opportunities as a new student at UNL. And, unfortunately, that wasn’t something I realized until my sophomore year.

I was scared as a freshman. I came from a small town and my first class had more students than my entire high school. I thought I wouldn’t have enough time to do anything else besides go to class and study.

That is definitely not true.

You can still get good grades and be involved in a Registered Student Organization, Greek organization or honor society. And you shouldn’t be scared to start as a freshman either.

I knew I wanted to work at The Daily Nebraskan one day, but I didn’t think I could do it as a freshman. The fall of my sophomore year, I found the courage to walk to the basement of the union and check out The Daily Nebraskan’s office during its open house.

My college career was forever changed because of that decision.

Not only did I learn valuable skills that I will one day use in the professional world, but I made the best friends I will ever have.

And that’s why it’s so important to get involved as a freshman, even if you’re nervous. You’ll meet people with similar interests to you and you’ll learn skills that you can’t learn in a classroom.

In this edition of The DN, you’ll find some of the best advice for freshmen from our editors, meet the student body president and learn more about the new Nebraska football coach Scott Frost.

As UNL’s only independent student newspaper, it’s our mission to provide you with relevant and important all year. Follow us on your favorite form of social media to stay informed about what’s happening on campus.

So please, don’t make the same mistake I did as a freshman. UNL is full of opportunities and people who want to see you succeed. Take advantage of them now.

If I could start all over I would, so I hope you don’t mind if I live vicariously through you.

Have a great four (or more) years at UNL. I know you’ll love being a Husker as much as I have.

Best,

Jessica Larkins

Editor-in-chief