New Student Enrollment

Read the print issue of the DN's NSE issue.

This story is part of a Daily Nebraskan New Student Enrollment special edition. 

Hello, friends.

If you’re reading this, you’re likely an incoming freshman, parent or guardian to an incoming freshman; a new international or transfer student; or my grandmother. For the former, allow me to be probably not the first and most definitely not the last person to welcome you to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Let me also introduce to you UNL’s only independent newspaper written, edited and produced entirely by UNL students: The Daily Nebraskan.

But you can just call us “The DN.”

Whether you’re looking for the cause of the UNL Alert that woke you up at 3 a.m. on a Tuesday, suggestions for which new downtown restaurant to blow your financial aid refund on or coverage of Nebraska’s six-time national championship-winning bowling team’s most recent tournament, The DN will provide.

News will keep you updated on campus happenings, from the construction of new buildings obstructing your path between classes and highlights of the UNL Police Department crime log to what it’s like cleaning up Memorial Stadium on game days or being an overnight janitor. News reporters will tell you why campus pine trees are sprayed with fox urine in the winter and about the time a couple of UNL sorority members ended up with an Australian pop star’s cell phone.

A&E will tell you which restaurants offer the best french fries, which movies are worth the $5 on Thursday nights and which songs will best distract you from your studying. Arts & Entertainment writers will introduce you to the UNL Baby – a grown man who walks around campus wearing a baby mask and a diaper – and the pair of freshmen who’ll deliver ice cream to your dorm room until 2:30 a.m. on Thursdays.

Sports will give you more than football game coverage. The writers will keep you in the know on each of Nebraska’s sports teams, from basketball and volleyball to rifle and golf. They’ll tell you stories about players, coaches and die-hard Husker fans you won’t hear anywhere else: what it’s like being the only native Nebraskan on the women’s tennis team, how a unique set of handshakes gets each softball player pumped up before a big game, when friendship between two top Big Ten coaches trumps the rivalry between their respective teams when they compete for a tournament title.

Opinion will offer a platform for writers of various backgrounds to share their thoughts on a wide variety of topics. Whether you’re a democrat, a republican, a libertarian, an independent or somewhere in between; a first-generation college student, an international student, non-traditional or transfer student; a student organization president, a fraternity or sorority member or none of the above, the opinion section will strive to present fact- and research-based columns that will spark conversation among your demographic. And if YOU’VE got something to say, feel free to send us a letter to the editor. We’d love to hear from you.

Here at The DN, our main goal is to tell YOUR stories. We’re the only newspaper on this planet whose sole beat is the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Got a hot topic or just think we’re missing something? Send us your story ideas via the “submit news” link on our website, and we’ll see what we can do.

Parents and guardians, if you’re looking to stay informed on campus happenings even when your student hasn’t answered your calls or texts in weeks, look no further than dailynebraskan.com. Students, if you’re looking for something to browse through when all of your friends are in class and you’re eating alone in a corner in Selleck, pick up a copy of The DN (you can also find The Daily Nebraskan on Facebook or @DailyNeb on Twitter).

Today, you’ll tour campus, sign up for classes and attend info sessions on everything from campus life to bank accounts. The DN has also put together a crash course to your freshman year in the form of the bundle of paper you’re currently holding. And don’t worry, we’ll be here when you come back in the fall to keep you posted on everything else.

Cheers!

Lani Hanson

Editor-in-Chief

(P.S. Hi, grandma!)