Raising Cane's

This story is part of a Daily Nebraskan New Student Enrollment special edition. 

After 11 p.m., it’s marginally harder to find a restaurant that’s still open to fill your late-night cravings. But near the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus, there are several restaurants that play the game right and close deep into the night (or morning). The Daily Nebraskan compiled a list of the restaurants that keep their lights on long enough for you to get your midnight snack.

Raising Cane’s (201 N. 14th St.)

This restaurant chain, which specializes in fried chicken fingers, is a popular late-night hotspot for college students, and it’s easy to see why. The combo meals are filling and reasonably priced, with the 3 Finger Combo costing $6.51 and the Box Combo costing $7.12 without tax. The chicken is what the restaurant is known for, but the signature Cane’s sauce and the Texas toast are fan favorites. Raising Cane’s is right in the heart of downtown and only a short walk from campus. Raising Cane’s is also open until 11 p.m. on weekdays and until 3 a.m. on weekends.

Amigos/Kings Classic (1411 Q St.)

Amigos serves up taco and burritos and traditional American food such as burgers and milkshakes. Amigos is budget-friendly for students and offers a variety of combo meals for under $6, including the cheesy burrito and soft taco. The tater tots that come with every combo meal are excellent and also a unique part of Amigos. It are located near Andersen Hall on city campus and is open until 3 a.m. on weekends.

Jimmy John’s (101 N. 14th St.)

The popular sandwich chain is known for its delivery speed and high-quality subs. It delivers from 10:30 a.m. until 2 a.m Sunday through Wednesday and until 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, so it’s a great option for late-night studiers who don’t have time to sit down at a restaurant. Serving 8-inch subs like the Pepe, a smoked ham sandwich, and the Vito, an Italian sub, Jimmy John’s offers many options for sandwich lovers. They even have an Unwich, in which the bread is replaced by a lettuce wrap.

D’Leon’s (824 S. 27th St. or 831 N. 48th St.)

While it is a short drive from campus, D’Leon’s is a great late-night dining option. Its half-pound burritos cost $3.99 to $5.99, making it very affordable. The all-day breakfast burritos served with two eggs are also a great deal, with prices ranging from $4.99 to $5.99. It’s worth the drive any time because D’Leon’s is open 24 hours.

Hi-Way Diner (21st Street and Highway 2)

A little more than a 10-minute drive from campus lies Hi-Way Diner. Open 24 hours a day, this is a great place to go for some late-night studying or to satisfy some breakfast food cravings (also served all day). Hi-Way diner also has free WiFi during business hours. The restaurant is also known for the third egg being free, making it a deal for egg lovers. Other signature dishes include the popular Magic Toast and the diner classics like the Hot Stripper sandwich, consisting of three chicken strips covered in sausage gravy on grilled Texas toast.