Winter sports

This story is part of a Daily Nebraskan New Student Enrollment special edition. 

Men’s Basketball

Despite bringing in arguably its best recruiting class during Coach Tim Miles’ tenure, Nebraska struggled and did not make it to a postseason tournament in its 2015-2016 season.

The Huskers went 16-18 overall and 6-12 in the Big Ten.

Senior co-captain Shavon Shields led the team in points with 16.8 per game. Shields was a four-year starter and is one of five players in school history with 1,500 career points and 600 career rebounds.

Not far behind Shields was junior guard Andrew White III. In his first year of eligibility after transferring from Kansas, White averaged 16.6 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. Both of those marks ranked in the top-15 in the Big Ten.

NU’s 2015-2016 team was a squad filled with youth. Forwards Michael Jacobson, Ed Morrow, Jack McVeigh and guard Glynn Watson saw significant action as true freshman. All four will return next season.

The team will lose Shields and guard Benny Parker to graduation and may also lose White, who declared for the NBA Draft. White will be able to return to school if he withdraws his name before May 25.

Women’s Basketball

Nebraska women’s basketball was plagued with injuries in its 2015-2016 season. Everyone on the roster had an injury at some point, except guards Natalie Romeo and Emily Wood.

Freshman Jessica Shepard was the Huskers’ leading scorer, averaging 19 points per game while Romeo chipped in 16 points per game.

Nebraska finished its season 18-13 overall and 9-9 in the Big Ten and received an invitation to the N.I.T. The Huskers lost in the first round to Northern Iowa. Coach Connie Yori, the winningest coach in Nebraska History, stepped down after 14 years of coaching and was replaced by former Nebraska player Amy Williams.

Williams, who came to Nebraska after a head coaching stint at the University of South Dakota, will look to get the program back on track after a disappointing end to the season.

Men’s Gymnastics

Seven members of the Nebraska men’s gymnastics team qualified for the NCAA Championships at the end of the 2015-16 season.

The Huskers were led by senior All-Americans Sam Chamberlain and Ethan Lottman.

Chamberlain posted a 15.15 on parallel bars, and Lottman earned a 15.25 on pommel horse. Those scores were good enough for third place in their respective events at the NCAA Championships.

Chamberlain also tied for tenth in the vault finals.

The two earned their second All-America awards at the 2016 NCAA Championships.

With five players returning with NCAA Championship experience, the Huskers look to improve on their 6th-place Big Ten Tournament result from last year.

Another goal will be to qualify as a team for the NCAA Championships.

Women’s Gymnastics

The Nebraska women’s gymnastics team finished eighth at the NCAA Championships. Senior Hollie Blanske led the Huskers and became a first-team All-American after earning 9.925 on the vault. She was also a second-team All-American in all-around performances and floor exercises.

Junior Jennie Laeng was also an All-American.

The team only loses two seniors in 2016 and will hope to be a top contender in the Big Ten again in 2016-17. The Huskers grabbed second place at the 2016 Big Ten Championship.

Rifle

Second-year Nebraska rifle coach Ashley Rose-MacAllister helped lead the Huskers to their fourth consecutive top-eight finish.

The Huskers finished eighth at the 2016 NCAA Championships.

Both Rachel and Denise Martin, whom are of no relation, earned All-America honors.

NU loses Denise Martin to graduation, but in her senior year, she earned second-team honors from the NRA in smallbore.

Rachel Martin also earned second-team honors and was named a Collegiate Rifle Coaches’ Association honorable mention. She was also invited to try out for the United States Olympic team, but fell just short of qualifying.

Martin and fellow senior Jaycee Carter are the Huskers’ only upperclassmen heading into the 2016-2017 season.

Bowling

After winning a national championship in 2015, the Nebraska bowling team made its second consecutive trip to the National Championship but fell to Stephen F. Austin University.

NU finished its season with a match record of 100-34.

The Huskers have posted two second-place finishes within the last three years. Sophomore Julia Bond led the Huskers with an average of 208 and a total of 11,216 pin falls. Junior Gazmine Mason complemented Bond with a 203 average and 10,983 total pin falls.

Nebraska loses just two to graduation this year and returns the majority of its core bowlers. A team that has been one of the university’s best in the last decade is looking strong heading into 2016-2017.

Wrestling

The Nebraska wrestling team capped off its year with an eighth-place finish in the NCAA Championships at Madison Square Garden. Juniors TJ Dudley and Aaron Studebaker led the Huskers with 24-7 and 23-11 records, respectively.

Dudley finished second in the Big Ten Championships and NCAA Championships, grabbing All-American honors for the second time in his career.

Eric Montoya placed fifth in the 133-pound weight class in the NCAA Tournament and claimed All-American honors.

Dudley and Montoya were joined by 165-pound senior Austin Wilson, who placed seventh at NCAAs, joining the All-American ranks.

Senior Jake Sueflohn also led the Huskers with a 29-8 record. Sueflohn fell just one win shy of becoming an All-American in 2016.

Swimming and Diving

The Nebraska swimming and diving and team capped off its season with a 39th-place finish at NCAA Championships.

The Huskers finished 5-3 in duals and in ninth place in the Big Ten last season.

Junior Anna Filipcic received an All-American honorable mention in 2016 and accumulated 35 top-five finishes and 20 victories through the last two seasons. She has qualified for the NCAA Championships in each season as a Husker and notched her best finish there this year with a 10th-place finish in the one-meter dive.