Live entertainment

This story is part of a Daily Nebraskan New Student Enrollment special edition. 

Downtown Lincoln has a wealth of entertainment and live music available to students when they’re ready to venture downtown. The Daily Nebraskan put together a list of weekly events for someone under the age of 21. From weekly open mic nights at Crescent Moon to Zoolarious at the Zoo Bar, there’s always something to do if you’re itching to go out during the week.

Crescent Moon (140 N. 8th St.)

Crescent Moon Coffee, which has been nestled deep in Lincoln’s Haymarket district since 2001, is home to live music and poetry every week. On Monday nights, it hosts open-mic poetry starting at 7 p.m. On Thursday nights, there is an open mic for singers and songwriters at 7 pm. On Wednesdays and Saturdays, live music starts at 7 p.m. and on Sundays, it starts at 8 p.m. Past acts include The Bottle Tops, Jack Hotel and The Dirty Low Dogs. The coffee shop serves plenty of coffee, along with cold drinks, crepes, paninis and more.

Vega (350 Canopy St. Suite 220)

Vega, a music venue in the Haymarket, has been hosted many great acts since it opened its doors in 2013. These acts include Mac Demarco, ODESZA and Conor Oberst. Vega strives to be a venue for people of all walks of life to come and enjoy live music. Vega has jazz every Monday and ‘80s and ‘90s cover bands if there isn’t a scheduled event.

Zoo Bar (136 N. 14th St.)

Zoo Bar has been a live music staple in Lincoln since 1973 and has hosted acts like Otis Rush, Buddy Guy and Bo Diddley. The Zoo Bar house band plays almost every Monday at 7 p.m. and there’s live karaoke on Thursdays at 9 p.m. Along with music, Zoo Bar host Zoolarious, a comedy showcase for local and touring comedians, almost every Sunday at 8 p.m.

The Single Barrel (130 N. 10th St.)

A couple blocks away from the Haymarket, Memorial Stadium and Downtown Lincoln, The Single Barrel hosts local live music every Friday and Saturday night. Along with live music, The Single Barrel hosts bingo night on Wednesdays. The Single Barrel serves burgers, hand cut steaks, sandwiches and more to enjoy while watching shows or just having dinner.