liedcenter

Since 1990, Lied Center for Performing Arts has hosted some of the biggest artists around the globe on the University of Nebraska- Lincoln’s campus. With names like Idina Menzel, Itzhak Perlman and John Cougar, UNL’s largest theater hosts a variety of acts every year in its 2,200-seat venue.

The Lied Center also offers discounted tickets for students, and free tickets through the Arts4All program. The 2017-18 season lineup features comedy, musicals, ballet, jazz and plenty more.

Big Red Lied Experience, Sept. 7-8

The free event is a way to help introduce students to the Lied Center and will have performances by featured artist Black Violin.

B-52’s, Sept. 30

Kicking off the performance year is the 1980s New Wave group, The B-52’s. The Athens, Georgia-based group is known for their hit songs “Rock Lobster” and “Love Shack” from their 1989 album “Cosmic Thing.”

Trevor Noah, Oct. 6

The Daily Show host will take over the Lied Center for an evening of stand-up comedy in what will be Noah’s first show in the state of Nebraska.

Motown The Musical, Oct. 21-22

The Tony Award-nominated musical based on the famed soul/R&B recording studio will make a tour stop in Lincoln. The musical features renditions of classic hits such as “My Girl” by The Temptations and “Tears of a Clown” originally performed by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles.

Arturo Sandoval, Nov. 29

The Cuban-American jazz/latin trumpet player has 10 Grammy Awards, an Emmy and 2013’s Presidential Medal of Freedom. The Dizzy Gillespie protégé will show the Lincoln crowd his brand of powerhouse trumpet.

Straight No Chaser Christmas, Dec. 7

The hit a cappella group’s rendition of “The 12 Days of Christmas” in a 1998 home video went viral around 10 years later. Almost another decade later, they will be performing more Christmas songs at the Lied Center.

The Sound of Music, Jan. 12-14

The popular Broadway musical featuring a Tony, Grammy and Academy Award-winning “Best Original Score” will stop at the Lied Center during its North American tour. The play is directed by three-time Tony Award winner Jack O’Brien.

Jersey Boys, Feb. 8-10

The Four Seasons’ storied road from New Jersey to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will make a detour through Lincoln. The four-time Tony Award-winning play showcases the story and hit songs of ‘50s rock/doo-wop group Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

American Ballet Theatre with the St. Louis Symphony presents “Firebird,” Feb. 16-17

Recognized as “America’s National Ballet Company” by Congress, the American Ballet Theatre will perform with the second oldest symphony orchestra in the country. The ABT will also feature Misty Copeland, the company’s first African American principal dancer in its 78 year history.

Snarky Puppy, Feb. 23

The jazz-fusion group based out of Denton, Texas, will bring its jam-based show to Lincoln. The band is fresh off of a Grammy win for “Best Contemporary Instrumental Album” for their 2016 record “Culcha Vulcha.”

The Best of The Second City, March 3

The Chicago-based group will bring its improv comedy which has produced cast members on shows such as “Saturday Night Live” and “Whose Line Is It Anyway.” The group is perhaps best known for its famous alumni, such as former SNL cast members John Belushi and John Candy.

Kinky Boots, March 9-11

The Tony Award-winner for best musical about shoe factory owner Charlie Price features music composed by 1980s pop star Cyndi Lauper. The show will be the third “Best Musical” winner to come to the Lied Center during the 2017-18 season.

An Evening with Audra McDonald, April 26

The event will be a night dedicated to showing off the talent of the current Broadway superstar. McDonald has won six Tony Awards, more performance wins than any other Broadway actor or actress.