Your Morning on Campus sig

The April 9 episode of The Daily Nebraskan’s daily news podcast, Your Morning on Campus.

Elizabeth Rembert: Good morning and welcome to The Daily Nebraskan’s daily news podcast. It is Tuesday, April 9. Your weather for today is sunny and windy with a high of 73 and a low of 48.

I am senior news editor Elizabeth Rembert, and this is Your Morning Campus.

In today’s news, a chemistry professor sues a Nebraska state senator for defamation, and a nutrition and health sciences professor stands out for how he mentors students.

Rembert: Here to guide us through today’s top stories is news reporter Libby Seline. Alright Libby, why is a chem professor suing a Nebraska state senator?

Libby Seline: Gerard Harbison is suing Senator Steve Erdman with allegations that the representative for district 47 published defamatory statements about him in a legislative column. Harbison has taught at UNL for more than 25 years, identifies as a Libertarian and has advised several conservative student groups, but Erdman labeled him as a quote “extremist, left-wing” unquote professor in the October 22, 2018, edition of Erdman’s newsletter called “Straight Talk From Steve.”

Harbison said Erdman did not respond to his request for a retraction, nor has he responded to the lawsuit Harbison has filed since then. At the time of publication, Erdman’s office had not responded to The Daily Nebraskan’s request for a statement.

Rembert: And finally, tell me about this mentoring professor.

Seline: UNL professor of nutrition and health sciences Karsten Cooler  received the Outstanding Undergraduate Student Research Mentor Award for his connection with students while they are   preparing to conduct nutrition and health sciences research experiments. Before the students conduct research, Cooler acts as the worst possible test subject so students know how to adapt to similar situations before they conduct their actual research. Cooler said his participation in the experiments and the students’ extra work pay off as students personally and professionally mature.

Rembert: Alright, thank you to everyone for tuning in to today’s podcast on Tuesday, April 9. Be sure to check out dailynebraskan.com for more on these stories and even more UNL news. Tune in tomorrow and enjoy your morning on campus.