Title IX art 3

Last year, The Daily Nebraskan published a package with the stories of several complainants from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Institutional Equity and Compliance, or Title IX, office.

Readers showed via Facebook comments that they were frustrated with Title IX, the federal statute that dictates how federally funded universities across the country must conduct investigations related to discrimination and sexual misconduct. They didn’t appreciate how the statute was applied at UNL. 

After receiving feedback from the community and emails from survivors with their own stories of sexual misconduct at UNL, The Daily Nebraskan saw a need for another package to be written. 

Since May, The Daily Nebraskan has collected data regarding Title IX at UNL and other Big Ten schools to see whether students in different states have similar complaints to those at UNL.

The Daily Nebraskan also focused in on UNL’s Title IX coordinator position and the university’s decision to switch to an in-house victim advocate. The comparison between the two roles highlights their differences, as well as how they overlap.

During this reporting process, UNL decided to make changes, too. The first story in this package discusses UNL’s formation of its Campuswide Collaborative on Sexual Misconduct to evaluate how the university keeps students safe.

With the addition of resources and an evaluation of its approach to Title IX, the university believes it is doing everything it can to reach a fair process.