N column

Editor’s Note: The Daily Nebraskan chose not to provide a link to the mentioned video due to its graphic language that some viewers may find disturbing.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police Chief Owen Yardley said proper authorities are reviewing a video involving Daniel Kleve, a UNL junior and avowed white nationalist, discussing his personal propensity for violence.

Streamed live on the YouTube account “scars and tears” on Jan. 23, the video included Kleve and five other men discussing the future of white nationalism in America.

In a statement provided by UNL spokesperson Leslie Reed, Yardley said several members from the university and community contacted UNLPD regarding the video.

“I can appreciate the concern,” Yardley said. “Sometimes, safety professionals have to very discreet about what they can say regarding such matters. Rest assured, the matter is being taken seriously.”

Kleve became involved in white nationalism after the 2016 presidential election. After casting his vote, he said a reporter interviewed him about why he voted.

He said his comments, which involved promoting further regulating immigration, caused him to lose his part-time job.

“At that point … [I decided] to go full-out activist,” Kleve said in the video.

After learning more about white nationalism, Kleve said he was content staying “low-key” until August 2017, when the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville took place. While there, Kleve said he marched with Vanguard America, the group James Alex Fields Jr., who killed Heather Heyer at the march, belonged to.

“Lo and behold, a year later, I am the most active white nationalist in the Nebraska area,” he said.

As his notoriety has grown, Kleve said he also wants to stress the importance of white nationalists rebranding themselves. Despite dressing well and caring about appearance, Kleve is just as strong and violent as other white nationalists, he said.

“Trust me, I want to be violent. Trust me. Really violent,” Kleve said. “But now is not the time. … So we need to build ourselves up. We need to be disciplined ... so that when the time comes, we can, you know, do what needs to be done basically.”

This comment, along with others in the two-hour long video, prompted the community members to contact the police.

But in a Facebook message, Kleve said this comment fit into a clear context of “philosophical violence.”

“The clip was taken out of context and the talk of ‘violence’ was in a philosophical fashion and not in a literal manner,” he said. “I did not threaten or advocate bodily harm or acts of terrorism to an individual or a group. In fact, on the contrary, I deemed it unnecessary and harmful.”

Kleve responded to controversy surrounding the video Tuesday.

This is a developing story.

Noah Johnson contributed to the reporting of this story.