cover the cruiser

A police car covered in post-it notes that speak against sexual violence and assault on UNL's East Campus on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska partnered with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police Department to host the first Cover the Cruiser event to raise awareness for sexual and relationship violence on Tuesday, Sept. 10, on East Campus, and Thursday, Sept. 12, and Friday, Sept. 13, on City Campus. 

Students had the opportunity to stick “Use Your Voice” cards on a police car and fill out their own pledge to stand up against sexual and relationship violence.

According to a Nebraska Today article, these pledges will then be taken off the police car and displayed in the Nebraska Union. 

Roni Miller, a junior political science and Spanish double major and ASUN Campus Life and Safety Committee Chair, said she hopes that UNLPD and ASUN’s spin on the typical awareness booth will bring awareness to sexual and relationship violence. Additionally, she said she hopes the event promoted the resources that UNLPD provides to students who have been or are victims of sexual and relationship violence. 

“To have this typically scary and intimidating cop car covered with nice sticky notes of hope and hopefully encouragement,” Miller said, “I think that shows a lot of symbolism for the commitment that university police has to this campus, to those victims, survivors of sexual assault and victims of domestic abuse.” 

According to interim police chief Hassan Ramzah, UNLPD is frequently asked and is available to answer any questions students have about how to report an incident and provide them with guidance to the correct resource for their own particular situation. 

“At the end of the day, university police are really just concerned about student safety,” Miller said. “And as the chair for campus life and safety, that's something that I also care about. And so I think, when you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, we have the same desires, the same goals and we just go about it in different ways.”

Ramzah said he believes the first Cover the Cruiser event that took place on Tuesday, Sept. 10 on East Campus went very well. 

“We had a number of members of faculty, staff and students to come by and show their support,” he said. 

Ramzah said he hopes that members of the UNL community recognize the importance of being educated on personal safety and the resources that UNLPD provides.  

“I think the important takeaway here is, you know, raising awareness for faculty, staff, students on campus,” he said. “And being educated in terms of the importance of prevention and promoting a safe campus environment.”

news@dailyneraskan.com

Faculty, staff and students who are victims of sexual or relationship violence can report incidents anonymously through the TIPS reporting service or contact the UNLPD or Title IX coordinator Tami Strickman.