Neihardt Hall will no longer be used as a residence hall at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in the fall 2019 semester. The Daily Nebraskan asked students with a connection to Neihardt Hall about their experience with the building and its community, as well as what students will miss.

Paige Heinemann

Paige Heinemann, sophomore advertising and public relations major

“It’s old but it’s home … it’s just so cute, she’s still got it going on, you know? [Neihardt] brought a lot of people together — it still has the power to bring people together.”

Harrison Sanny

Harrison Sanny, sophomore biology major

“I lived here my freshman year and basically all my friends that I’ve made, and still have, lived in Neihardt so that was pretty important. You’re kind of in your own world here. They have dances and stuff and it’s kind of nerdy but it’s fun, when you don’t think that you’re dancing in the honors hall.”

Harrison Sanny, sophomore biological sciences major

Lexie Foster

Lexie Foster, freshman microbiology major

“It’s definitely my home away from home. Ever since living here, it’s felt very homey and very welcoming. It doesn’t feel like a traditional dorm. The community here is very welcoming. I like how focused everyone is here and there’s a general vibe of … [determination]. I just like how people are around here. Everyone’s very similar … [I’ll] definitely [miss] the quietness of it and how homey it feels and [how] comfortable it is and then all the traditions that come with it.”

Katja Roberts

Katja Roberts, freshman food science major

“Well, I really like being with a lot of honors people and I like the way the rooms are set up. I like the study rooms and the courtyard. But one thing, I’ve had cockroaches in my room this semester, so I’m happy to be moving to someplace that I hope will have less of a pest problem. We’ve also had electricity issues.”

Kyle Driver

Kyle Driver, freshman secondary education major

“Even when I first moved in, [Neihardt] felt like a home. And I’ve met some fantastic people here, met some of my best friends on my floor. I’m going to miss the feeling of community throughout the building and even the style of the building. I’m not going to miss waiting for Piper to switch over to heat or air conditioning.”

Kyle Driver, freshman secondary education in social science major

Daniel Liebsack

Daniel Liebsack, freshman actuarial science major

“I would definitely say it’s kind of a lifestyle because there’s just so many places you can study here and you’re with similar like-minded students … It’s a historic monument so that’s a cool thing, that you can live in a historic monument in Lincoln, Nebraska.”

Tom Hermanek

Tom Hermanek, freshman economics and marketing major

“I’ll really miss the character of the building — just exploring it is pretty incredible and learning the history of it. Talking to ghosts in the basement is pretty fun. But especially down in the basement, there’s so many doors. There’s one called … the Shampoo Room. Just walking through the halls and checking all the doors. It’s kind of fun to wonder what it was used for in some previous use of the building.”

Tom Hermanek, freshman economics and marketing double major

Zephyr Desa

Zephyr Desa, freshman biology major

“[I’ll miss] the community of people here, they’re all kind of different, like from different areas and study different areas ... [I’ll miss] just making connections with different types of different groups.”

Zephyr Desa, freshman biological sciences major

Caroline Hilgert

Caroline Hilgert, freshman political science major

“Neihardt really just is much more of a home than most other traditional style dorms are because there’s just so many areas where people actually hang out and talk to each other. I’ve met so many of my friends on my floor. And being able to have connections to others in the honors program just in this building is pretty cool. I’m really going to miss having this building that’s very special to the Honors Program.”

Tags