Impeachment hearings are underway on Capitol Hill as the U.S. House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence works to decide if there will be an impeachment trial for President Donald Trump. The Daily Nebraskan asked students if they have been paying attention to the hearings and if they think impeachment is likely.

Pierce Leef, sophomore biochemistry and science education double major

pierce leef

“I haven’t been really paying attention. I’ve wanted to, but there’s a lot of other stuff going on right now, and it’s really busy. I personally hope that there is something involved with at least the process of going through and seeing what actually has happened and what hasn’t because there’s been a lot of misinformation on both sides. Just figuring out the real truth would be good.”

Cleopatra Babor, freshman plant biology major

Cleopatra Babor

“I have been paying attention, and I believe that impeachment is very unlikely. Just all the information [President Trump] has been hiding is probably the most shocking thing, but in my personal opinion, we kind of all already knew [he was hiding information]. It’s very close to the 2020 election and … that’s why I think impeachment is pushing to the unlikely side. But there’s still hope.”

Louis Lu, junior actuarial science major

Louis Lu

Louis Lu, junior actuarial science

“I haven’t been paying attention. For me, I am not really sure about politics in America because I don’t really care about that because I’m a Chinese student. Maybe [impeachment] is possible.”

Alex Bartels, junior advertising and public relations major

Alex Bartels

“I have not been paying attention to the impeachment hearings. I just don’t really pay attention to politics and don’t really follow anyone on social media that talks about politics. I don’t know much about it and also just don’t really know if [impeachment] is possible or not. I feel like they probably won’t impeach since the election is already coming up next year.”

Ali Mohamed, junior education major

Ali Mohamed

Ali Mohamed, junior education major

“I’ve seen clips here and there, but I haven’t been really paying attention. [Impeachment] is probably not going to happen. It’s been going on for a while, and I feel like they’re dragging it on. By that time, he’s probably going to be out of the office.”