News

A University of Nebraska-Lincoln student suffering from a rare form of cancer died this weekend, family members announced on a Facebook page set up for friends and supporters.

Carly Cannon, 21, was a sophomore pre-elementary education major described by family as a “smart, girlie girl” who loved Nebraska football. She was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 19, when doctors discovered an ependymoma tumor within her spinal cord, the “Team Carly” page said. The rare form of cancer affected Cannon’s brain and spinal cord.

Family members said complications from the disease sent Cannon to the hospital Sunday night, just as she was preparing to seek additional treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. She had already undergone 37 rounds of full spine and brain radiation treatment at the clinic, the page said, following surgeons’ unsuccessful attempt to remove the tumor.

The Facebook page said Cannon loved kids. Her favorite experience was helping a kindergarten teacher during a course she took as a freshman at UNL, it said.

Cannon also loved Dr. Pepper, the color pink and the TV show “Friends,” the page said.

Funeral arrangements were expected to be made Tuesday, family members said in a message following Cannon’s passing.

“Tonight we take comfort in knowing her suffering is over with no more IV bags, MRI’s, injections or pills,” the message said. “Tonight she dances in Heaven.”