Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center

The Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center inducted four University of Nebraska-Lincoln graduates into its hall of fame on Oct. 4, according to Nebraska Today

The 2019 inductees are 2018 graduate Phat Nguyen, 2016 graduate Rebekka Schlichting, 1980 graduate Marthaellen Florence and 1973 graduate Ben Salazar. The Hall of Fame was started in 2018 to honor distinguished multicultural alumni, according to Nebraska Today, and is part of the Gaughan’s annual Multicultural Homecoming. 

Nguyen was involved with the Vietnamese Student Association, Asian Student Union, Lambda Phi Epsilon and Liberty in North Korea during his time at UNL, according to Nebraska Today. He also started the Asian Student Leadership Conference and the celebration of Asian Pacific Islander Desi American Heritage Month. He is now a platoon leader in South Korea for the U.S. Army.

Schlichting’s post-graduation career has focused on sharing Native American stories, and she’s currently the assistant director of Vision Maker Media, according to Nebraska Today. Schlichting is also a recipient of the Native American 40 Under 40 award through the National Center for American Indian Enterprise Development and the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights award and grand prize. 

Florence has worked for Nebraska Educational Telecommunications for more than 40 years and is currently its director of community. According to Nebraska Today, Florence is also president of the board of directors for the Malone Community Center. Additionally, she serves on the boards for Lincoln City Libraries, the Lincoln Community Foundation, the Flatwater Shakespeare Company and the Lincoln Journal Star. 

Salazar was the first president of the UNL’s Mexican American Student Association, according to Nebraska Today. His experience includes work as an attorney, journalist, consultant for juvenile reform and a community activist for the Latino community. He previously worked for the Campaign for Human Development, an arm of the United Farm Workers under César Chávez.