november crime art
Made with Flourish

Both cars stolen from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus at the beginning of November have been located, according to John Backer, police operations captain for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police Department.

In November 2019, the most frequent crime was “disturbances,” including wild parties, with 18 incidents reported. This number increased by 50% from November 2018, which had 12 incidents reported. 

“Minor in possession of alcohol” decreased by 40% from 15 reports in November 2018 to nine reports in November 2019.

Not reportable accidents increased from two incidents in November 2018 to eight incidents in 2019. Not reportable hit and run accidents also increased, from four incidents in November 2018 to eight incidents in 2019. Backer said it is difficult to attribute the increase in accidents to one reason, but most of these accidents happen when speeding in the parking garages or while turning into a parking spot.  

He said accidents become a crime when the person does not notify the owner of the other vehicle, whether it is through a note left on the car or reporting it to UNLPD for help contacting the owner.

On Friday, Nov. 1, a 2006 Toyota Camry was stolen from a parking lot at 615 N. 19th St. and a 2016 Jeep Patriot was stolen from the East Campus Loop, according to the UNLPD Daily Crime & Fire Log and Backer. UNL police located the Toyota Camry earlier this month, and the Lincoln Police Department found the Jeep Patriot on Monday, Dec. 2 and contacted UNLPD, according to Backer. He said UNLPD found helpful evidence from the first car to develop a suspect, and is still searching for evidence in the second car. Both cases are still under investigation, according to Backer.

Two students reported items stolen from their vehicles and another student reported their vehicle was rummaged through in the Harper Hall parking lot on Thursday, Nov. 14. Backer said UNLPD did not believe these cases to be connected to the auto thefts, even though the cars in the auto thefts and the cars rummaged through were all accessed because they were unlocked. 

Students can help prevent these crimes by keeping valuables out of sight and locking their car doors, according to Backer.  

On Thursday, Nov. 21, a student reported receiving a fraudulent check as part of a scam, according to the crime log and Backer. He said the student was sent a check for completing a job, but received more than the agreed upon amount with instructions to send the excess money to specific places. However, before the check was found to be fraudulent, the student sent the money, which meant she sent her own money since the check was fake. 

The case is still under investigation, according to Backer, and he said it is difficult for UNLPD to quickly investigate because the accounts the money was sent to are across state boundaries. UNLPD has to rely on police departments in other states to help track down the different accounts.  

Backer said students should be wary of checks they receive that are more than the agreed upon amount, especially if the check is for completing an online job. Students can contact UNLPD if they are concerned a check they received is fraudulent. 

On Sunday, Nov. 17, UNLPD received reports of an individual driving around, asking girls where J Street was and engaging in strange conversation, according to the crime log. Backer said UNLPD received reports of three different incidents happening throughout the early morning. They have identified the individual and are still trying to locate him. Backer said they plan to inform him following and harassing people from a vehicle is not tolerated on the UNL campus.