Ronnie Green

UNL Chancellor Ronnie Green speaks during a press conference on Sept. 21, 2017, at the Van Brunt Visitors Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green sent an email this morning to students, faculty and staff addressing concerns surrounding the controversial Daniel Kleve video.

In the email, Green said Kleve will not be expelled, citing First Amendment protections.

Green also said campus safety is his top priority, and the UNL Police Department is closely monitoring the situation.

“[UNLPD] will take the action needed to ensure safety on this campus—I trust their judgment, competence and professionalism to manage this situation in a manner that protects the safety of all members of our campus community,” Green said in the statement.

Green denounced the statements Kleve made in the video that was released Monday.

“I categorically reject the viewpoints represented in the video, which are rooted in racism and bigotry,” Green said.

Green said he heard students’ concerns that were voiced yesterday during the “No Nazis on UNL Campus” rally hosted at the Nebraska Union Plaza.

“Many of you have shared feelings of frustration and concern,” he said. “Know that I hear you, the campus leadership hears you, and we stand by and with you.”

In his statement Green discussed channels students can use to voice their concerns including discussions hosted by Executive Vice Chancellor Donde Plowman.

These conversations are scheduled to happen over the next two days. One session will be held today at 11:30 a.m. in the Kauffman Residential Center and a second session will be hosted this Friday at 11:30 a.m. in the Nebraska Union Colonial Rooms.

Other faculty members in attendance will include Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Laurie Bellows, Director of the Gaughan Multicultural Center and Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Charlie Foster and Joe Zach, president of the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska and Student Regent.

Chancellor Green encouraged students that feel unsafe to contact UNLPD, administrators, faculty or the university’s anonymous tip line.

“Let’s stand together and demonstrate our collective strength, shared humanity and commitment to peaceful and respectful discussion and debate,” he said. “That’s the university I know and love.”