n-unionbrief

The Nebraska Union Auditorium will now be named the Swanson Auditorium to honor longtime Union employee Daryl Swanson, according to Nebraska Today

The renaming was approved at the University of Nebraska Board of Regents June meeting, according to the article. A public ceremony with Swanson and his family will be held on Thursday, Oct. 3, from 4:30-5 p.m. in the Auditorium. 

Swanson worked for Nebraska Unions for 39 years as a professional and three as a student employee. 

Swanson started working part time at the Union in 1960 as a sophomore at UNL, according to Nebraska Today. He graduated in 1963 with a degree in business administration and returned to work at the Union full time in 1966. 

Swanson’s time at the Union included overseeing the construction and opening of the Nebraska East Union in 1977 and serving as its first director. He was named the director of both buildings in 1979 and held that position until he retired in 2005. 

Swanson established the university’s first culture center to serve multicultural students in 1986, according to Nebraska Today. He received the Carl A. Donaldson Award for Excellence in Management in 1982 and the NU Board of Regents Kudos Award in 2005. 

He also oversaw the expansion of the Nebraska Union in 1999, which included the auditorium now in his name, according to Nebraska Today.