courtesy

Ev Williams, co-founder and former CEO of Twitter, has been selected to deliver the University of Nebraska-Lincoln undergraduate commencement address on May 6 at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

The ceremony will begin at 9:30 a.m., but doors will open to the public at 7:30 a.m. Admission is free with no ticket required. Parking, including handicapped parking, will be available in parking garages south of the arena and in the Festival Space parking area off of Sun Valley Boulevard.

Williams, who attended UNL in 1990 for two years, will also be awarded an honorary doctoral degree at the ceremony.

Williams’ career in internet entrepreneurship began in 1994 when he co-founded Pyra Labs in order to make a project management software. Blogger, a note-taking feature, was created based on this software.

In 2003, Google acquired Pyra and a year later, Williams left Google to co-found podcast company Odeo and Obvious Corp. shortly after that.

It wasn’t until 2006 when Williams, along with Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass and Biz Stone, would found social media giant Twitter, which had more than 319 million monthly active users as of 2016. Williams served as the CEO of Twitter from 2008 to 2010 and remains on the board of directors today.

His most recent endeavour began in 2012 when he created Medium, a publishing platform.

There will also be separate ceremonies and speakers for students earning graduate and professional degrees as well as for College of Law graduates. Speaking at the graduate student ceremony will be Helen Raikes, a Willa Cather Professor of Child, Youth and Family Studies at UNL. Speaking at the College of Law ceremony will be Preeta Bansal, a Lincoln native, president of the Social Emergence Corp. and a lecturer at the MIT Media Lab.

More than 3,000 degrees will be awarded May 5 and May 6. There will be a live stream of the ceremonies hosted by Pinnacle Bank Arena so those who cannot make it will be able to watch from home.