Title IX art 7

Several universities have 24-hour hotlines and have victim advocates available for community members, but each university collects data related to sexual misconduct differently. 

The Daily Nebraskan collected data related to sexual misconduct at universities in the Big Ten Conference. Each school provided data from different years and surveyed differently, meaning the data is difficult to compare. The following graphs show the amount of policy violations or findings of sexual misconduct at each respective university. 

Nebraska

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 25,820

UNL’s Title IX office saw 193 complaints during the 2016-17 school year and 176 complaints during the 2015-16 school year, according to Leslie Reed, director of public affairs for University Communication. Of the 2015-16 complaints, 11.56% resulted in a finding of sexual misconduct, according to Reed. In a 2018 University of Nebraska system climate survey, 60% of all students, 55% of female students and 66% of male students said they agreed or strongly agreed that UNL would do the right thing if a concern about sexual assault was raised. 

Nebraska has an in-house victim advocate, counseling through Counseling and Psychological Services, advocacy through the Center for Advocacy, Response and Education and a 24-hour hotline through Voices of Hope, according to UNL’s Institutional Equity and Compliance website.

Made with Flourish

Illinois

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 49,339

The 2017 campus climate survey at the University of Illinois found 294 reports of sexual assault from March 2016 to February 2017. About 61% of students said they agreed or strongly agreed that they feel safe from sexual violence on or around campus

U of I has a Women’s Resources Center, which provides advocacy and support to survivors of any gender identity, and a Counseling Center with group and individual appointment options, as well as student leadership services, according to its We Care website. The area also has a 24-hour community hotline. 

Indiana

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 42,937

Indiana University Bloomington’s Title IX office saw 164 reports of sexual misconduct during the 2016-17 school year, according to a document provided by the office. Of those cases, 31, or 19%, continued through the formal adjudication process, and 22 were found responsible. 

IUB offers a sexual assault crisis 24-hour hotline and counseling through IUB Sexual Assault Crisis Services, according to IU’s Stop Sexual Violence website. Students can also utilize a confidential victim advocate and can get volunteer help through the Maurer School of Law in obtaining a civil protection order. 

Made with Flourish

Iowa

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 32,948

During the 2017 fiscal year, the University of Iowa’s Title IX office received 64 reports of sexual misconduct, of which 17, or 26.5%, were reported to be founded, according to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity annual report. In a 2017 climate survey, 80% of female students and 89% of male students said it is likely or very likely the university would take a Title IX report seriously. 

Iowa’s Rape Victim Advocacy Program has a 24-hour crisis hotline, counseling, therapy and support groups for survivors throughout the community, according to its website. Advocates will accompany survivors to the hospital and to police interviews and court hearings. The university also has a Women’s Resource and Action Center.  

Made with Flourish

Maryland

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 41,200

The University of Maryland saw 208 reports of student sexual misconduct during the 2016-17 school year, according to its Student Sexual Misconduct report. Of those, 27 or 13%, were investigated and of those investigated, 7 or 3.4% of total reports, were found responsible. 

UMD offers free advocacy and therapy services to survivors through the Campus Advocates Respond and Educate to Stop Violence center and a 24-hour hotline, according to its website

Made with Flourish

Michigan

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 46,716

The University of Michigan’s Office of Institutional Equity saw 218 reports for the 2017 fiscal year, where 28, or 13%, were investigated and eight, or 4% of the total cases, were found to be violations, according to a document provided by the office. In a 2015 sexual assault climate survey, 74% of female undergraduate students and 81% of female graduate students said they think U of M takes complaints of sexual misconduct seriously compared to 86.7% of male undergraduate students and 90.3% of male graduate students. 

The university provides free confidential services through the Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center, including advocacy and support groups and a 24-hour hotline, according to its website

Made with Flourish

Michigan State

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 51,118

Michigan State University saw 718 reports of sexual misconduct in the 2016-17 academic year, according to its annual report. Of those, 74, or 10%, were investigated and 44 or 6% of the total reports, were found to be violations. In the 2015 Association of American Universities Campus Climate Survey, 51.7% of female undergraduate students, 56% of female graduate students, 65.9% of male undergraduate students and 72.6% of male graduate students said it is very or extremely likely that a report of sexual assault or sexual misconduct would be taken seriously at MSU. Overall, 59.6% of all student respondents chose this response.

MSU Safe Place Relationship Violence and Stalking Program offers resources, counseling and advocacy, according to its website. The community also has a 24-hour hotline. 

Made with Flourish

Minnesota

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 47,493

The University of Minnesota had 170 sexual misconduct reports by students during the 2017 fiscal year, of which 48 were investigated, according to the annual Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action report. Of those investigated, 31 were found to be a policy violation. 

In a 2019 Campus Climate Survey, 63.7% of students perceived that it is very or extremely likely that campus officials would take the report seriously. 50.6% of female undergraduates and 62% of female graduate students chose those responses compared to 74.1% of male undergraduates and 78% of male graduate students. 

The Aurora Center For Advocacy and Education offers appointments, support groups and advocacy efforts, according to its website. A 24-hour hotline and textline are also available.

Made with Flourish

Northwestern

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 22,137

Northwestern University’s Title IX office received 94 reports of sexual misconduct during the 2017 school year, according to its annual Sexual Misconduct Data Report. Eighteen of those reports were investigated and 10 were found responsible. 

In a 2019 campus climate survey, 74.3% of students said it was very or extremely likely that university officials would take a sexual assault report seriously. 71.7% of male undergraduates and 88.4% of male graduate students chose those responses compared to 50% of female undergraduate students and 79% of female graduate students.

The Center for Awareness, Response and Education helps connect students with counseling and support groups on campus and in the community, according to its website, and a 24-hour on-call counselor is available through Counseling and Psychological Services.

Made with Flourish

Ohio State

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 61,170

In a 2017 campus climate survey, 70.3% of students said it would be very or extremely likely that a sexual misconduct report would be taken seriously. 62.4% of undergraduate female students, 64.6% of female graduate and professional students, 78.3% of male undergraduate students and 76.7% of male graduate and professional students chose those responses. 58.5% of students said it would be very or extremely likely campus officials would conduct a fair investigation. 

On-campus victim advocates are available as well as a Student Advocacy Center, according to the Title IX Office website

Penn State

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 97,136

In a 2015 campus climate survey, 81.5% of male undergraduate students at the Penn State University Park campus said it was likely or very likely that the university would take a report of sexual misconduct seriously compared to 72.8% of female undergraduates. 80.9% of male graduate students and 70.6% of female graduate students chose those responses. 

67.8% of all undergraduate students, 66.7% of female undergraduate students and 69.7% of male undergraduate students said they agree or strongly agree that the university would handle a sexual misconduct report fairly.

74.1% of all undergraduates, 61.6% of undergraduate women and 90.9% of undergraduate male students said they feel safe from sexual violence on or around campus. 

Penn State has a 24-hour campus hotline and a Gender Equity Center offering education, advocacy, referrals and crisis intervention/support counseling, according to its website

Purdue

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 43,411

Purdue University reported 55 investigations and found 25 of those as violations for the 2016-17 school year, according to a document provided by the university’s Title IX office. In a 2015 climate survey, 68.2% of students said it is very or extremely likely that a sexual assault report would be taken seriously by campus officials. 

62.8% of female undergraduate students and  62.2% of female graduate students chose these responses compared to 72.7% of male undergraduate students and 72% of male graduate students. 

The Center for Advocacy, Response and Education offers advocacy and accommodations for students and has a 24-hour hotline, according to its website

Made with Flourish

Rutgers

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 70,876

In a 2018 campus climate survey, 70% of students said it is likely or very likely a sexual assault report would be taken seriously. 68% of undergraduate women and 71% of graduate women chose the same responses while 75% of undergraduate men and 75% of graduate said it is likely or very likely. 60% of students agreed or strongly agreed that a report would be handled fairly. 

The Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance has a 24-hour hotline, advocacy and counseling for survivors, according to its website

Wisconsin

Enrollment in Fall 2018: 44,411

In a 2019 campus climate survey, 58.7% of female undergraduate students and 64.7% of female graduate students said it was very or extremely likely that a report of sexual assault would be taken seriously compared to 77.8% of male undergraduates and 79.7% of male graduate students. 

The University of Wisconsin-Madison received 318 reports of sexual misconduct in 2017, according to a document provided by the university’s Title IX office. Of those, 11 were investigated and four were found to be a policy violation. 

A 24-hour community hotline is available, and Survivor Services offers referrals, individual and support group counseling and advocacy, according to its website

Made with Flourish

Editors’ Note: If you or someone you know has had an experience with the Title IX office you’d like to share with The Daily Nebraskan, please email investigations@dailynebraskan.com.

This article is part of a Title IX series. Click here for a table of contents.