DN icon

When students return for classes in August, they can expect to see a much different Daily Nebraskan.

The student newspaper will change the format and frequency of its print issue next fall, after Publications Board members voted on a new concept for the newspaper and online platform at a Tuesday night meeting.

Instead of publishing a newspaper twice a week, DN staff will begin the process of publishing a monthly magazine.

The board hopes it will catch the attention of students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, as well as build up The DN’s finances.

David Thiemann, director of sales and marketing for The DN, said switching from newspaper to magazine is something other colleges have already done. He said he views it as catching up to other papers.

“I don’t look at it as abandoning the newspaper, it’s just a different approach,” Thiemann said. “It’s more relevant.”

Thiemann said The DN needs to be geared toward what the student body wants. Because of the decline in print readers throughout the years, and the senior staff members’ enthusiasm to switch to a magazine, he said the students have spoken.

“This is the first time where I’ve really seen a unified voice from the students running the newspaper, and I think that’s what prompted the change,” Thiemann said.

Concerns about the costs of a magazine were considered, as well. 

“If we’re going to make ourselves financially worse off because of printing costs, I’m not sure if it's a wise move,” said Matt Waite, professor of practice of journalism at UNL.

Members of the board discussed ways they could lower the cost of producing magazines by gaining support from advertisers and considered different options of magazines.

Aidan Connolly, the incoming editor-in-chief of The DN, came into the board meeting with high hopes that the magazine would be voted on.

“After speaking with everyone else, it seems like a good idea to try something new in a situation where we are kind of stuck,” he said.

Although he has not done magazine printing before, Connolly said he doesn’t believe it will change much. He said he believes all the work at The DN will be an extension of what is done now, considering it already produces daily online content.

“This is just going to offer an opportunity for us to dive deeper into stories and get more out of them,” Connolly said.

For the staff workers at The DN, Connolly said he sees the workplace being much more fluid in the future. He said he hopes The DN will be more of a constant stream of work to make sure articles get published at a time when they know students will be on their computers.

Staff and board members will be working together this summer to figure out printing options for the new magazine, as well as getting it ready for the fall of 2017.

“We cannot be down in the basement doing our job if we are changing this,” Thiemann said. “We have to have something visible where people can see what we’re doing.”

news@dailynebraskan