CFA brief

The Committee for Fee Allocations will hold its final public meeting of the year in the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska office on Thursday for a procedural vote before sending allocations to ASUN for final approval.

The meeting was originally scheduled to occur in the Nebraska Union’s Regency Suite. CFA chair Jacob Gideon announced the change of venue in an email on Tuesday, following unanimous support from the committee for the fiscal year 2020-21 University Program and Facilities Fee allocation recommendations on Feb. 6. Gideon said the decision to move the meeting was made after discussion with ASUN adviser Marlene Beyke and associate vice chancellor of student affairs Josh Overocker and collaboration with CFA members.  

According to Gideon, the discussion will be brief enough that they did not think a regular meeting was necessary. The agenda has not changed and will continue as planned. Fee users were also told they did not have to attend.

“Given the unanimous voting on this past Thursday and the expectation, or at least my expectation, that there would not be much substinent discussion involving the fee users, I didn’t want to waste anyone’s time,” he  said.

CFA will review each adopted recommendation with an opportunity for further discussion at Thursday’s meeting. Subcommittee members are still able to introduce amendments to the recommendations, and, once approved, the recommendations will be sent as appropriations bills to ASUN.

Only the Lied Center for Performing Arts, The Daily Nebraskan and Campus Recreation asked for increases to their budgets, while ASUN asked for an overall decrease for fiscal year 2020-21. All requested amounts were recommended and given first approval by CFA on Feb. 6.

“If everything goes as scheduled, it will be purely procedural,” he said.

The meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. in the ASUN office for a vote to pass recommendations to the senate. Gideon said the bills will be introduced and final votes are expected to be held on Feb. 19 for Fund A users and on Feb. 26 for Fund B users.