sustain unl

Sustain UNL is hosting the third annual Sustainability Kickoff for students to learn more about environmentally oriented organizations and departments at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln — and enjoy watermelon in the process. 

Nine different recognized student organizations and three UNL departments will meet outside the Nebraska Union on Thursday, Sept. 5, from 2 to 4 p.m. At the event, students can learn more about sustainability efforts on campus and meet people involved in those efforts, according to Sustain UNL’s campus outreach liaison Kat Woerner. Additionally, Sustain UNL will offer the attendants fresh, locally grown watermelon and provide live music. 

“We’re just hoping to reach a bunch of students on campus that want to be involved in the sustainability community that were like … ‘Oh, I want to be involved [in sustainability], I want to do something, but I don’t know if anything’s available,” said the sophomore economics, environmental studies and natural resource economics triple major. 

The organizations and departments will be set up in a circle outside of the union, and students can listen to people playing the guitar as they roam from table to table. Woerner said this method was effective last year. 

The Office of Sustainability’s communication specialist Elizabeth Snyder said she likes the event and appreciates the opportunity to share information. 

“The [Office of Sustainability] is here as a tool for students to use when they have questions or want to get a sustainability project off the ground,” she said in an email. “Our main goal of attending events, such as the kickoff, is to let students know that our office is here to help them succeed.”

Woerner said the event helped her find her community as a freshman, and she hopes the event will inform more people about UNL’s sustainability efforts. 

“I was so depressed for the first couple weeks [of my freshman year] because I was like, ‘There’s nothing going on with sustainability at UNL,’” she said. “Then I went to the Sustainability Kickoff, and I just talked everybody’s ears off just like — I am so glad I finally found people that are like me.”