n-morrill

Students walk past Morrill Hall on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Smithsonian National Museum in Washington, D.C., partnered with the University of Nebraska State Museum for this month’s Sunday with a Scientist. 

On Sunday, Sept. 22, the University of Nebraska State Museum is hosting its monthly Sunday with a Scientist event in Morrill Hall from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. The event will feature hands-on activities that help museum-goers learn about fossil family trees. Activities will teach visitors about ancient landscapes, elephant family trees and the most recent common ancestors of whales and deer, according to the museum website. 

Usually, the event features one scientist and their research, but multiple scientists from the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History developed this month’s event.

“The University of Nebraska State Museum is a Smithsonian Affiliate, and we were selected to participate in the National Science Foundation-supported Lineage [initiative], which explores learning about paleontology and evolution,”Jennifer Ruyle, the museum’s education associate, said in an email.

Admission to the event is free for UNL faculty, staff and students. Others can enjoy the event for the regular admission price, which can be found on the museum website

Along with Sunday with a Scientist, visitors can enjoy a 20-minute movie from the new PBS and Smithsonian Channel film “When Whales Walked: Journeys in Deep Time,”according to the museum website. The film will be shown every hour on the hour from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. There will also be a virtual reality game called “Deep Time Detectives” for museum visitors to take on the role of a paleontologist, according to Ruyle.

“It’s a chance to connect with a scientist, learn about the cool research that is happening here on campus and beyond and explore different careers,” Ruyle said. “This is a great opportunity to learn more about paleontology and evolution and the rich fossil history of Nebraska.”