tech sig

This story is part of a Daily Nebraskan New Student Enrollment special edition. 

Each semester, University of Nebraska-Lincoln students are charged $11 per credit hour – with a limit of $165 – in technology fees to finance information technology resources. Among these resources are seven software packages that are free to students.

Huskers.unl.edu Email and Microsoft Office 365

UNL recently partnered with Microsoft to offer free @huskers.unl.edu email accounts to students. Students can keep their @huskers.unl.edu addresses after they graduate and use it for life.

Along with the email address, students also receive a Microsoft Office 365 subscription. Included in the subscription is one terabyte of online storage with OneDrive, access to Office Online and a copy of Office 2016 to install on their computers. Learn more at go.unl.edu/dn-email

Box Cloud storage

Box is an online storage product similar to Dropbox and Google Drive. Users can upload large files and share links for others to view and download them. Download the Box Sync app, and Box will automatically upload and download files as they are added to the Box Sync folder. Box also offers mobile apps to view and share files while on the move. Another perk students receive as part of their free Box accounts is unlimited storage. Learn more at go.unl.edu/dn-box.

Symantec Endpoint Suite

Students who plan on connecting to the internet while in a residence hall will need an antivirus software installed on their computers. UNL, through its membership in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, provides Symantec Endpoint Suite. The software can be installed via a disc or as a download. Learn more at go.unl.edu/dn-antivirus

Matlab

Matlab is a technical computing software used for signal processing and communication, image and video processing, computational finance and computational biology. UNL offers a free Matlab license to students. Learn more at go.unl.edu/dn-matlab

Mathematica

Another computational software product offered by UNL is Wolfram’s Mathematica. Mathematica allows machine learning and geometric and geographic computation. With the Wolfram Language, users can use algorithms and functions to work with networks, images, data science, visualization and more. Learn more at go.unl.edu/dn-mathematica.

National Instruments

The UNL College of Engineering currently has an agreement with National Instruments for access to software. Available products include LabVIEW, TestStand and VeriStand. Students can use NI software for academic studies and non-commercial research purposes. Learn more at go.unl.edu/dn-ni.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Adobe Creative Cloud provides software for graphic design, web development and video editing. Programs include Adobe Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop. Some courses require Creative Cloud products. With a Creative Cloud subscription, students can download programs they need to use offline, which can be updated as new features are released. Learn more at go.unl.edu/dn-cc.

* * *

Neil Wineman, director of client services for Information Technology Services, said the software is evaluated every year. An Association of Students of the Univeristy of Nebraska subcommittee reviews and examines each college’s use of its budgeted student technology fee.

“What we try and do is cover the big productivity software choices, which we think is being covered really well with Microsoft, Adobe and Box,” Wineman said. “We think it’s pretty comprehensive. We regularly talk to our Big Ten peers to see what they’re doing on campus.”

Wineman said he realized new software will be needed in the future. Another main function of ASUN’s Technology Fee Committee is to research proposals for other things that may be funded by the technology fee.

“If students feel like there is a gap in what is being offered, they should find a student tech fee committee representative and have them bring it forward as a possible opportunity,” Wineman said.

A list of Technology Fee Committee members can be found at asun.unl.edu/TFC