starbucks

Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson will present at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln on Friday, Sept. 27, according to Nebraska Today

The free event is part of the university’s 150th anniversary celebration and will be held at Howard L. Hawks Hall auditorium at 3:30 p.m. The presentation will also be streamed, according to Nebraska Today.  

The event will be hosted by the Jeffrey S. Raikes School of Computer Science and Management and Chancellor Ronnie Green.

The presentation will be a conversation between Johnson and Jeff Raikes, the namesake of the Raikes School.

Johnson will also meet one-on-one with Raikes School students during his visit, according to Nebraska Today. 

Johnson began at Starbucks in 2009, was named chief operating officer and president in 2015 and was named CEO in 2017. He replaced former CEO Howard Schultz, who is now the executive chairman for Starbucks. The company saw record-setting transformation and growth while he was on the board of directors, according to Nebraska Today. 

Before that, Johnson spent 16 years at Microsoft and five years as CEO of Juniper Networks. He was also appointed to the National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee in 2008 and served under both Bush and Obama. 

Although he worked in the tech industry for 34 years, Johnson doesn’t see himself as a “techie,” he said in a 2017 interview on the company’s website

“The people I worked with in the tech industry were a lot more technical than I was,” he told Starbucks. “A lot of my roles were leading sales and marketing and leading business functions that interfaced with customers. I worked with some of the greatest thought leaders in the industry. My role was to help bring their visions to life.”