speed limit

As fall break approaches, students who travel on Lincoln I-80 may have a quicker commute.

On Friday, Oct. 4, the Nebraska Department of Transportation increased the speed limit from 65 mph to 75 mph on a portion of Lincoln I-80, according to a Nebraska City news release

NDOT spokesperson Jeni Campana said the department increased the speed limit from the 27th Street exit, exit 403, to the 56th Street exit, exit 405, to preserve uniformity through I-80. She said in April 2018, the Nebraska Legislature passed bill LB 1009, which increased speed limits on roads throughout Nebraska, including many expressway and highway systems.  

The bill was passed following analysis of traffic by the NDOT and found that speed limits could be raised on various highways and expressways. Campana said that the NDOT is responsible for conducting traffic studies to determine whether traffic is moving as efficiently as possible. 

Campana said the NDOT recognized the new speed limits had created an inconsistent speed along I-80, and inconsistencies in speed limits are inefficient. 

“We want to make sure we can maintain uniformity as much as possible so that drivers know what to expect,” she said.

Gavin Wilhite, a third year physics major drives to Omaha almost daily. He said he was aware of the new speed limit and believes it is beneficial. 

"It helps make my commute faster," Wilhite said. 

Zade Miller, a freshman architecture major, also drives to Omaha frequently. While he was not aware of the speed limit change, he said he is happy about it.

"I feel like it's going to cut down on my time going to Omaha, and that it will help me quite a bit," Miller said.