Latitude Apartments

Latitude Apartments on S. 11th St. during a power outage on Dec. 4, 2017.

Latitude Apartments reported the burglary of three missing purses, a set of car keys and an Xbox around 4 a.m. Monday.  

There were no signs of forced entry into the building, and authorities are unsure as to if the burglars were residents or had found a way into the building another way.

In a statement to The Daily Nebraskan Wednesday, a Latitude representative said management was working with the Lincoln Police Department in order to find the suspects and had sent an email to all residents reminding them to lock their doors and report suspicious activity.

According to LPD public information officer Erin Spilker, no arrests have been made but LPD has security footage they are reviewing that Spilker said she hopes will assist the investigation. Several residents also gave statements to LPD about the situation. 

A 22-year-old woman woke up to the sound of someone in her apartment. She was unable to identify the suspect but told LPD they wore a black hooded sweatshirt and grey sweatpants. She also said that the intruder was communicating with another person in the unit.

Another apartment resident, a 20-year-old woman, said she observed someone in the hallway around the same time frame but assumed it was her roommates. Additionally one of the intruders woke another tenant by turning on a light in the apartment. The suspect left with her purse and left behind another person’s purse.

LPD said in a statement to The Daily Nebraskan that it’s important for residents to develop security routines, to make sure that entries to apartment units are locked and secure valuables that can be easily moved or taken.

Jolie Peal contributed to this report. 

This article was updated at 5:17 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2020, to include a statement from Latitude Apartments. This story is ongoing.