ASUN 4.29.20

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska passed the revised Student Code of Conduct and appointed 22 positions at the final meeting of the semester Wednesday.

Held at 6:30 p.m. over Zoom, the senate voted to pass its first bill of the 2020-21 term regarding the new code and passed all 22 appointments made by President Roni Miller and the executive team.

President Miller told the senate that she and the other student body presidents of schools in the Big Ten Conference released a statement yesterday urging Congress to pass the All Dependent Children Count Act, submitted by U.S. Rep. Angie Craig. 

According to the congresswoman’s website, the bill would expand upon the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act to include children under 19 and students aged 24 and younger and would place no age limit on disabled dependents.

Revising the Code of Conduct has been a two year process, President Miller said, and senate discussion on the bill dominated the last half of the meeting. Senators Eric Rodene and Brianna Miller both raised concerns with the provision regarding expulsion. According to the draft, a student who is expelled cannot return to any NU campus unless prior permission is given from the vice chancellor of Student Affairs.

“Let’s say you have to come crawling to the vice chancellor to ask for special permission,” Rodene said. “I think that’s going to be disruptive in 20 years when someone just wants to take his family to a football game.”

Internal vice president Drew Harrahill and Sen. Jacob Gideon said in response that expulsion is only warranted in a few situations and often has to do with violence or harm toward another person.

“Reality is, being expelled from any university is an extremely serious offense,” Gideon said. “That, in my opinion, absolutely warrants having to get special permission from the vice chancellor.”

The bill passed with one vote against and one abstention, giving ASUN’s stamp of approval on the revised Code of Conduct.

“We think at the end of the day, there was a lot of great compromise reached,”President Miller said. “And we think this code will be able to best serve students and have students' interests and their safety in mind.”

The 22 appointments approved by the senate include the positions of treasurer, adviser, chief of staff, the Environmental Leadership Program chair and Freshmen Campus Leadership Associates co-directors, as well as the chair and 13 members of the Government Liaison Committee.

Senate concluded its final meeting of the semester with words of encouragement from ASUN administrator Marlene Beyke.

“I look forward to an absolutely fantastic year,” she said. “There will be some bumps in the road, but as we work through those bumps, we will be even stronger.”