n-recess

UNL students bounce a ball outside of the union during Big Red Resilience and Well-Being's "Recess" event on Monday, Oct. 14, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

In the greenspace outside of the Nebraska Union on Monday, University of Nebraska-Lincoln students had a chance to chase their worries away. The sun peeked over the top of the building just enough to shine into the bubbles that were floating through the air, as students enjoyed activities ranging from Play-Doh to painting.

Big Red Resilience & Well-Being held the second annual “Recess” event on Monday. The event’s activities included a station where students could infuse Play-Doh with essential oils, a table where students could paint on small canvases and a four square station.

Raylie Dinterman, a senior in the Community Health and Wellness program, ran a juice stand. Dinterman is a well-being ambassador, which means she is responsible for student outreach on behalf of Big Red Resilience & Well-Being. 

“You’re never too old for recess,” she said. “You’re never too old to take a break from stress, and that’s what we’re doing out here today. It kind of takes you back to being a little kid in that way.”

One of the main tables had a large stack of colored Play-Doh in containers and various bottles of essential oils. According to Laura Shell, the associate director of Big Red Resilience & Well-Being, students were encouraged to pick a color of Play-Doh and choose their mix of essential oils to fold into it. Students could make their own mix, or they could choose from a variety of recipes for rejuvenation, stress relief and calming.

Another table had a wheel of questions about stress relief and a station where students could assemble a stress relief basket of scrunchies, stickers and bubble soap.

Well-being ambassadors walked from table to table with bubble wands in hand. Students were also invited to use bubble wands to make bubbles, which meandered about the entire plaza.

Lora Splain, a senior University of Nebraska Medical Center nursing student, was running a table about sleep habits and telling students how things like alcohol and phone screens can affect their sleep. The table also included pamphlets about the importance of creating a proper sleep environment and avoiding certain substances and foods before going to bed.

One of the more popular tables at the event allowed students to paint nature scenes and inspirational quotes on canvases. Some students took the liberty of painting pastel gradients while others tried their hand at portraits of wildlife. 

According to Shell, one of the dimensions of well-being they were advocating for was environmental well-being, in which people find harmony with their environment. This harmony, according to Shell, is reflected in the paintings students made at the event. 

“[Environmental well-being is] not just about recycling,” she said. “It’s also about the aesthetic of the environment we’re in, so we’re giving people an opportunity to give them something that makes them happy.”