n-alcoholasun

Big Red Resilience & Well-being needs students’ help in forming a peer community to help University of Nebraska-Lincoln students overcome drug and alcohol addiction and abuse, according to director Connie Boehm. 

Big Red Resilience is looking to start the Collegiate Recovery Community but needs student volunteers to get the program running. Once trained, the students would help their peers overcome addiction.

According to a formula created by Texas Tech University, 8,216 students on UNL’s campus meet the criteria for substance abuse, Boehm said in an email.

“The Collegiate Recovery Community will enhance the lives of students in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction by creating a supportive peer community and building a network of recovery allies,” she said. 

Association of Students of the University of Nebraska campus life and safety chair Roni Miller said the resources for the program have been allocated, and Selleck Quadrangle has reserved a space for meetings. All that’s left, she said, is finding the right people.

Big Red Resilience is currently looking for students in recovery to form a focus group that will help determine what a recovery community at UNL should look like, according to the website

“[The Collegiate Recovery Community is] really trying to push the possibility to create that community and create that initiative for years to come,” Miller said.

Miller said Big Red Resilience has put up fliers across campus to promote the Collegiate Recovery Program. The flier includes a message that reaches out to students suffering from substance addiction and urges them to become part of the recovery program.

“I think [the program is] mainly focused on creating an environment that is conducive to support[ing] students who may be struggling or may have struggled with any type of addiction,” Miller said.

She said Big Red Resilience called the group a community because they want students to feel comfortable coming forward and sharing their stories with other students in order to get help. 

“[The community] promote[s] their recovery process to make sure they stay on the wagon, and, in a way, they can make sure that those resources are readily available,” Miller said.

Miller said anyone interested in finding out more about the Collegiate Recovery Community should visit the Big Red Resilience booth during a mental health resource fair for World Mental Health Day put on by Diversity and Inclusion from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 10, at the East Campus Union.

“Bringing the campus and community together to advocate for students in recovery changes the way people view, think and even talk about everyone’s potential in the community,” Boehm said.