Big Red Resilience & Well-Being Peer Mentors

After beginning in the fall of 2018, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Big Red Resilience & Well-Being program continues to offer resources for students to stay healthy in a variety of ways, according to Nebraska Today

The program offers free services to all UNL students in Room 127 of the University Health Center and accepts both walk-ins and appointments made online Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., according to the program’s website.

Students can meet with one of the program’s 32 peer mentors during their visit. According to the program’s website, peer mentors are UNL students trained in nine dimensions of well-being: career, cultural, emotional, environmental, financial, intellectual, physical, social and spiritual. 

Clayton Wilson, a peer mentor who is a junior psychology and secondary education double major, said talking to a fellow student can be less intimidating than reaching out to a staff member or counselor. 

“I think that's the important part of having a peer talk to you,” he told Nebraska Today. “Because you know that student’s gone through stuff that you've also gone through, and you kind of know where they're coming from.”

Wilson said peer mentors will point students in a helpful direction after meeting with them. 

“A big part of it is just listening to them and letting them get everything off their chest,“ he said in the article. “Then, we’ll direct them toward resources on campus that we think can help them.”