odk

Starting in fall 2020, University of Nebraska-Lincoln students will be able to apply for Omicron Delta Kappa national leadership honor society in the fall of their junior year.

Allison Inman, Omicron Delta Kappa’s vice president of membership and a senior computer science major, said Omicron Delta Kappa National Headquarters has always allowed chapters to include juniors, but UNL’s chapter has traditionally only accepted seniors. 

Omicron Delta Kappa, which is also known as The Circle, suggested UNL’s chapter start accepting juniors to grow the organization and give members more time to benefit from the society, according to Inman.

“Recruiting members as juniors will mean that our members have more time in the organization,” Inman said. “They will get another semester to learn from the senior class, bond with their Circle class and participate in all of ODK's activities.”

Inman said the application process will now be done in the fall semester rather than the spring. Applicants will still be asked to send a resume, answer essay questions and submit a letter of recommendation.  

Inman said Omicron Delta Kappa’s vision is for juniors to stay on as seniors the following year so they can mentor new members of The Circle class.

“The goal is that by accepting members earlier in their college career, ODK can provide even more value to them as they go through the last few semesters of college,” Inman said. 

Omicron Delta Kappa is looking for students who are passionate and have something distinctive to offer the society, according to Omicron Delta Kappa president and senior finance major Austin Hillman.

“It’s so easy to get bogged down on the idea of making the best application that people will want to read,” he said. “At the end of the day, we are just looking for passionate people who care about what they are involved in, what they are doing and the impact they are making.” 

According to Hillman, membership in Omicron Delta Kappa is an opportunity for students to meet new people and be a part of a community.

“If you feel like you are really passionate about something, or you’ve really been working hard through your college career and you want a way to cap it all off,” he said, “I think an honor society is a great way to recognize your own achievements, as well as recognize the achievements of others.”