college crap

College campuses often breed the next big idea for social media platforms; from Facebook at Harvard to the creation of Snapchat at Stanford.

Students from Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Missouri, are changing the way college students buy and sell their stuff with a new website: CollegeCrap.

CollegeCrap is similar to Craigslist, but all members must have an active .edu email. Students can buy or sell school-specific items, such as textbooks or class notes, as well as everyday items like furniture, electronics and appliances.

Alyssa Rispoli, a senior business marketing major at Lindenwood and one of the founders of the site, said some of the most popular items are textbooks, cheap furniture and football tickets at schools like Penn State University or the University of Missouri.

Rispoli said the site is all about easing students’ financial burdens.

“The site was created to help students save money and make money while in college,” Rispoli said.

CollegeCrap was launched in August 2014. Rispoli said the site has thousands of users and continues to grow. The creators have a lot more planned for the future.

An app for the site will be available for iPhones and Androids in January. Additionally, there are tabs still in development on the homepage: a housing section will allow students to post about living needs and a professor page will let students grade instructors on campus.

Other features include a campus events page, a lost and found tab and a car pool feature.

Julian Barnes, who recently graduated from Lindenwood with a master’s degree in mass communication and marketing, began working on the idea three years ago as an undergraduate student. After meeting Rispoli, who had a similar idea to help students save money on textbooks, the two began working together.

CollegeCrap was created completely by students. Gilad Brunfman, a senior computer science major and Nishan Shrestha, a senior computer science major, are also initial founders.

The team behind CollegeCrap has expanded to include student graphic designers, marketing managers, web developers and marketing interns across the U.S.

Patrick Luddy, a University of Nebraska-Lincoln junior computer engineering major, said he would be interested in using CollegeCrap. Luddy said in the past, he’s used alternative sources to get textbooks that were otherwise unavailable, such as Chegg, an online textbook rental website.

Rispoli said the site isn’t for profit.

“We are not currently making profit and that was never really our goal,” Rispol said. “We just wanted to help students like ourselves save money.”

NEWS@DAILYNEBRASKAN.COM