Elizabeth Spiller

On Dec. 11, Chancellor Ronnie Green announced Elizabeth Spiller, dean of the College of Letters and Science at University California, Davis, will be the new executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, pending approval from the Board of Regents, according to Nebraska Today

Spiller worked for UC Davis since 2017, and will likely begin at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in March. Along with being appointed executive vice chancellor, she has been appointed as a professor of English. 

She was one of four finalists in the national search, and all of the candidates took part in multiple-day interviews. Each finalist gave a presentation between Sept. 30 and Oct. 16.

Spiller said during her presentation on Oct. 8 that she would work on broadening access to education, including to disadvantaged students and more research opportunities..

“I can’t say this more strongly. A university is not a bureaucratic or administrative structure; it is an intellectual project,” Spiller said, according to Nebraska Today. “I am honored and excited for the opportunity to work with Chancellor Green and with faculty and staff to pursue and expand UNL’s deep commitments to creating unrivaled educational opportunities and developing new knowledge that changes our world.” 

Spiller has more than 24 years of experience in higher education institutions, including being the dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences at Virginia Tech from 2014 to 2017, according to her resume.

Green said he is looking forward to working with Spiller.

“She is a strong leader and an accomplished scholar,” Green said.“I look forward to working with her as we continue our momentum in building excellence across the university.”